For parents with more than one kid- when was the first time you took both kids out without someone else to help you?

How old was your oldest and your youngest? And what did you do?

Gruntlings

Asked by Gruntlings at 2:42 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always have really.. mine are 5&3 now.. but since my youngest was born i suppose.. just went out to eat,
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:42 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• doctors office. they were 2 years old and 2 weeks old.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 2:44 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Just had to bite the bullet and do it...My hubby works late (on call) hr..and some weekends, so - if I wanted to get out....just had to do it. I have 3 kids....now 9, 5, 1....it gets easier...and you learn how to juggle and what everyone needs to survive each outing the more you do it....9 yr old always brings her DS...the 5 yr old needs snacks.....well., and the 1yr old...everything! binki, diapers, juice/bottle, snacks..toys...etc. Just be prepared.
    texasmom010409

Answer by texasmom010409 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Friend #1 when kids were 6mos and 2.5yrs kidspace museum in Pasadena
    friend #2 when kids were 2mos and 2yrs kidspace museum in Pasadena

kidspace is great for lil ones
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:49 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I've always taken my kids with me grocery shopping, to the mall, whatever. My older children were newborn and 2.5 the first time we went out together.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:51 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• when the second child was about a week old and the first child was 2.
    really it is no big deal... you just do it.
    I think we went to the park... I cant tell the older child "sorry you get no life now that your a big sister"
    we still lived our lives and did what we always did.... some times it just took a little longer.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 2:53 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• you mean this isn't something everyone does all the time ? lol I've done it with 3 children from their birth...my kids are now 11, 9 and 7....and they all have autism....having said that however, in the past year, I've had to start finding respite for my son at home because his anxiety in public places has grown to extreme levels....but to me, teaching how to be in public appropriately without whining, wanting, demanding is the only way to go .....my husband was a truck driver, so i did everything myself....i divorced him when my kids were 6,4, 2.....I'm with another man now who does help me a little more, but i don't feel its his place, so i still do most everything on my own....i don't really feel like i'm doing anything exceptional...i just feel like this is the way its supposed to be and i do it....i go shopping, to parks, to movies, hiking, lots of hiking,...lunch at subway......when we go hiking, i even take the dog...
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 2:55 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I've taken all 4 of mine out without another adult many times, starting when the youngest was a newborn and oldest was a little over 5. I just did it on Friday & Saturday, currently youngest is 3, oldest is 8.5.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 2:56 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• 2 years and 2 weeks. we went to target and the park
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 3:05 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Was curious b/c a lot of people kept talking about "the first time I had the courage" to go out with both kids. Meanwhile I was handling visitation transportation for my older son solo at two weeks which involved a one hour train ride plus a half hour bus ride in NYC when my son was two weeks old.

Was just wondering, because sometimes I feel like I'm juggling two soapy cats in a shower. I manage. But it's sometimes VERY awkward.
    Gruntlings

Comment by Gruntlings (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Aug. 2, 2010