Have u given ur 18 month old benadryl or dimetapp to ur baby to calm hi down on a plane ride? If yes, which one works best?

nycsexymommy

Asked by nycsexymommy at 3:01 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No, and you're not supposed to give kids that young medication like that.
    jollymommy

Answer by jollymommy at 3:05 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I have, but not because we were on the plane, but because she has allergies (dust, mold, most things outside) and benadryl was the only thing she could take to clear up the snot. It was just coincidence that they acted up when we were flying. It didn't calm her down though. I think the movement of the plane made her sleep since she didn't have any on the way home and was calm and slept then too. I've never given her dimetapp, not allowed for kids w/heart problems.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:06 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I want to add, it wasn't something I picked up from the store, it was prescribed by her pedi and approved by her cardiologist. It's not something to just toss in a kid to keep them quiet.
    Kiwismommy19

• Benadryl can actually hype some children up, just a warning.
    KRISTAL_WILDER

Answer by KRISTAL_WILDER at 3:09 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Benadryl has an ingredient which is an antihistamine for allergies. However, that same ingredient also makes a baby or child tired or sleepy. If given, it may put your baby to sleep for an hour or two. My daughter has taken it at four months for allergies but you need to follow the dosing requirements so you don't over medicate your baby.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:01 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Ummm. Why would you do that? My daughter takes allergy medicine for her allergies. And the only reason for a child that young to take those meds is if a doctor recommends it....... Why not try entertaining the child on the flight. We recently took my 14 month old on a several hour flight and we kept her entertained while she wasnt sleeping. Try an ipod with a cool cartoon or books or a new toy or two.... Or you could try to fly at nap or sleeping times. Most kids will go to sleep on a plane anyway. She has flown several times and usually 45 minutes in she is out like a light.....
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 4:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Give them a little bit of Tynenol.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 8:54 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Seriously? Your going to medicate your child un necessarily for your convenience so they dont express themself on a plane??? Wow!!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:11 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Do not give her meds to calm her on a plane even if the doctor wants you to for that purpose. They suggest that too many mothers and I think its ridiculous. I flew with my 11 month old from Salt Lake City Utah to Okinawa, Japan and she did just fine, for those of you that do not know its a 19 hour flight in total.
    Okigurl

Answer by Okigurl at 7:53 AM on Aug. 4, 2010