Does your 3 - 3.5 year old still have tantrums?

If so, how often and how do you handle them?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 3:07 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Both my kids, 3 was worse than 2. My ds never threw a tantrum UNTIL he was over 3. He was super pleasant up to that point! My dd has always been strong willed. If its at home and she's not getting her way, so she's throwing a fit, I will walk away or pick her up and put her in her room. After she has calmed down, we sit down and talk about the proper way to conduct ourselves. If we're out while she's throwing a tantrum, we'll walk outside until she's calmed down, but I won't leave b/c I went there for a reason. We did the same w/ our ds. We just don't give into tantrums and take away all attention from them when they throw it. Its getting better.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 3:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My son is three and has good days and bad days- good days, he'll have no tantrums and be a happy little bugger. Bad days- (today) he had a tantrum over bacon. Yes, I wouldn't let him have another piece of bacon until the rest of the food was ready, and he threw a fit. Today he had... three? so not too bad overall.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:19 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• yes, I just walk away, I then tell her when she is done come get me. We talk and then it is over. I think its the age. I hope we all make it!!!
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Yes, my 3 1/2 year old still has them from time to time... like maybe 2 a month. I think it's only when he is tired or might be a hungry and they only last for about 2 mins. I can usually get him to calm down if I get him to come sit with me and love on him a little. Not baby him, but just give him a little hug and telling him "it's ok" in a calm matter and talk about it. If I get angry with him with his tantrum and ignore it, it just last for longer. I have just found that taking the 2 mins to comfort him and love on him has worked alot more than just letting him deal with his emotions on his own.
    mandy_wiatrek

Answer by mandy_wiatrek at 3:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• A child can have a fit at any age really. 3 is still really young to not have a fit every now and again. When my 3yo throws a fit I make sure she's in a safe spot and I walk away from her. I do not converse with her when she's behaving that way. When she calms down I talk to her about what happened and she's ok after that.
    sweettigeress

Answer by sweettigeress at 5:04 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My 3 yr old has the at times. I can usually guess what's likely to trigger them and avoid it when possible. When they occur, I ignore them or I carry on like nothing is happening. I just talk to him normally to see if I can get him to move past the issue. I have learned than asking him to stop or in any way acknowledging the tantrum just makes it worse since he knows he's gotten my attention. Fortunately for us, they don't happen all that often.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:04 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My 4 year old still does. I just ignore it.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:51 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My 3 and 4 year olds both still have them.. they sit in time out until they can come out and stop.. some days they are in there A LOT!
    reagabismom

Answer by reagabismom at 9:11 PM on Aug. 2, 2010