Do you live in the most conservative states?

Wyoming and Mississippi are the two most conservative states in the country, and the District of Columbia and Rhode Island have the highest proportion of liberals, according to a new Gallup poll.

The poll doesn't gauge objective political positions on issues such as health care reform or federal spending, but rather asks respondents to define themselves as conservative or liberal on their own terms.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/poll-wyoming-most-conservative-state-in-the-country

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:11 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Michigan is a funny state.

We're a mostly red state but have always had strong union presence and our populated areas are mostly blue.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:19 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• One guest editor is talking about Bush tax cuts expiring on small businesses(too bad no one told him that they were not expiring on small businesses),
    -----------
    Aren't they expiring for those making over a certain amount of $, like $250K? That would include a whole lot of small businesses.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:44 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• ~~~~~~waving hands frantically~~~~~~ I am a small business and YES my tax cuts are expiring. I expect to be hit very hard this next year.

I'm in Oregon...you have to go to the dictionary if you want to see conservative.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:17 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Up shes- that's how it is in most large states. The areas with the large voter population are heavily blue and the areas with fewer people tend to be red.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:24 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• thankfully, no, and I wouldn't want to.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• That would be a definite, NO!
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:13 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No. feels like it though. Read the voice of the people in local paper....you would think the world is ending. I live in WV. I cringe when I say that.
    For example just the in the past week...

Obama is a socialist, The Tea party, One guest editor is talking about Bush tax cuts expiring on small businesses(too bad no one told him that they were not expiring on small businesses), but hey he admitted to get his info from Fox.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:24 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Nope I live in NYC and I'm Libertarian.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 5:52 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No, but it feels like I am. We are still in a very conservative state (TN).
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 3:46 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Yes,and love it
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:42 PM on Aug. 2, 2010