small 8 month old refusing baby food

My 8 (almos 9) month old is very small. she only weighs 17 lbs but not because she is too skinny, shes short. now she is beginning to refuse her baby food and she used to be a pretty big eater, yogurt in the morning and baby food for lunch and dinner. she has 6 teeth, so if i feed her solids, she eats them just fine, but i'm worried about her size and that she isn't getting enough to eat. what do i do?

sarah19mommy

Asked by sarah19mommy at 3:13 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• talk to your ped if you are that concerned
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• First of all, if she is getting all her BM or Formula and gaining weight on her curve, then, I wouldn't worry. For before one is for fun anyway. She may be teething and it hurts. She is old enough for soft chunk finger foods anyway.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:16 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• she might just be teething. my son loved his solids, but when he had a tooth comming in, he didnt want them. just keep trying.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:16 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• baby food has very little calories in it, she will still most of her calories from formula or breast milk. maybe she is teething again and eating is bothering her
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:16 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• she has an appointment with her dr on the 12th.
    sarah19mommy

Comment by sarah19mommy (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• If she is still on breast milk or formula then she should be fine. Food at this age is still just for experience and fun. Keep offering it along with her daily amount of formula/Breast milk. I have a tiny one to. Her doctor actually had me mixing her formula, when she got it(she was on both) more concentrated for more calories.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:18 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I agree w/ pp. Before 1, all a child's nutrition should come from formula or breastmilk. If she's gaining on her growth curve, there's nothing to be worried about. If she's got teeth coming in, it probably hurts to chew. Try some softer foods and maybe stage 1 (or completely pureed foods if you make it. Before 1, all solid food is just practice! Good luck!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 3:18 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• babies don't need baby food. try her with tiny bites of what you're eating, I bet you'll have better luck.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:19 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• sometimes she will eat what I'm eating but lately she wont. shes also constipated very easily. usually anything with pineapple will do the trick but it hasnt for the last 2 weeks. i also tried karo syrup and it didn't work. and, she is teething again, but softer foods aren't working. i'm gonna talk to her dr about all this when she goes on the 12th of course, i just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions that i havent already tried.
    sarah19mommy

Comment by sarah19mommy (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Really? My daughter is 11 mo and weighs 17 lbs. The her doctor isn't conserned at all. She is also short. She isn't thin at all either shes thick, not fat. She also eats about 80% breast milk. She isn't interested in reg food. My point to all this is my daughter is healthy like that at 11 months. I am sure your daughter is fine. I also agree that she may be teething.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 3:30 PM on Aug. 2, 2010