green eye discharge

We just got home from a week at the beach, the last few days we were there my 4 year old had green eye discharge that just showed up over night, I put eye drops in her eyes after I cleaned them twice a day. Her eyes seem to be much better now but I am wondering if I should still take her to the doctor? I think it was caused by all the sand in her eyes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Kids' Health

• It could be a little irritation from allergies or it could be a slight conjunctivitis. Eye's aren't something to mess around with so I, if it was me, would take her in just to be sure it doesn't need antibiotic drops.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:22 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• green=infection, so yes, go to doc.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I agree w/But Mommie. It sure sounds like conjunctivitis. My ds had it one time. He had a runny nose and was rubbing his eyes and got it that way. Go to the pediatrician. Your lo will most likely get a salve that you'll put around the outside of the eye. Also make sure the area stays very clean.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 3:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• You need to bring her to the doctor, NEVER mess with the eyes. If she ever gets sand in her eyes, take her and get her eyes checked, sand can scratch the cornea very easily.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:56 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I would go to the doctor. It sounds like bacterial conjunctivitis.
    kelli0585

Answer by kelli0585 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 3, 2010