Ok, so I got the mail...

And some environmental group is all mad at Obama for taking wolves off the endangered species list.

Before I get any nasty little responses about googling, I did, all I got was more of the same, blah blah blah save the wolves.

What I want to know is, was there a reason for the removal from the list that any of you are aware of?

You know the kind of letter I'm talking about, by the time you get done reading it you are ready to starve yourself to death to send them all the money you can... and then your common sense kicks back in.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 3:24 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• LOL....Love the OP!!

How was Sarah hunting them from a copter if they were endangered?? lol

I can only assume that they no longer fit the criteria

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:35 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• they probably aren't endangered anymore or funding has run out but they are still on the list
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:27 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Because their thriving in Yellow Stone Park right now.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 3:35 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• As i understand it their numbers are back up.

I think it's similar to ranchers vs. cowboys disagreements...both sides have good arguements.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Palin wasn't hunting grey wolves...
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:38 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• There are enough of them now to make a dent in the rancher's income, and it's more important politically to cater to agribusiness than to preserve a species that is a necessary part of our ecosystem.

I have livestock ~ and I can well understand how frustrating (and heartbreaking) it is to lose an animal to a predator. I also firmly believe that we NEED predators. We've tried to replace nature's control groups with things like wildlife management, but it doesn't work. We don't understand the ecosystem enough to tamper with it the way we have.

I also know there are many that fear predators so much they would rather see them eradicated than to educate themselves and learn to live safely among them. Every time a cougar kills someone (due to their stupidity) and is killed in retaliation this is proven. Same with those who move to bear country for the view but want the bears killed.

It's a shame, but that's the way it is.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I just had to help the Boy Scouts with a report on endangered animals. Not specially the wolves but what I found out was that it's not the President that makes the decision. The decision is made based on a lot of different things. Population, the ability to maintain the population, the measures taken to fix why they were endangered in the first place. Lots of different stuff go into that list.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 3:29 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think it is because they had reached the # of required breeding pairs to get them off the list. We have them here in Oregon now.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:14 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• You know the kind of letter I'm talking about, by the time you get done reading it you are ready to starve yourself to death to send them all the money you can... and then your common sense kicks back in.

rolling on floor

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• There are requirements that have to be met in order for an animal to be removed from the endangered species list.

It doesn't really matter who is President.

I'm more concerned that the environmental group isn't aware of that.
    MissG9

Answer by MissG9 at 7:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2010