Riddle me this....

Why do we tend to put up with more crap from relatives than we would any friend or stranger on the street? Where is it written that you must continually eat crap and be made to feel like a POS just because you're related? If my friends treated me like certain relatives did...trust me. They would no longer be my friends. When do you say, "enough is enough, already"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• I've cut mine out and I'm better off for it. I love them and always will but for some reason they love to hurt me so I've chosen to not be around them. You get what you give.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 4:19 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I treat everyone the same. I don't get the people who say "they're family, let it slide". I didn't chose my family, I'm not going to chose to take shit from them either.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• When you feel like you do now then say this is enough.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:29 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I say it is enough when I get to the point, never do I stay quite and swallow anything that disagrees with me, that is when it comes to my family. But when it comes to my dear husbands side then I bite my tonge to keep his peace, unless it is something outrageous.

Answer by older at 3:31 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I say when ever you've had enough. Family is supposed to be there for support and love, not bullsh*t.

I don't talk to most of my family because of that. I try harder with my immediate family though and most of the time we get along and the times we don't....well I feel the good times out weigh the bad.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 3:31 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I don't put up with crap from anyone anymore. Toxic people aren't worth my time, regardless of whether they are related to me. It takes me longer to cut ties with a relative (I give them more chances than a friend), but I have cut a lot of my family out of my life. I'm healthier for it!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'm just about done with my whole family! I have never bought into the they are family they must be loved thing!
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 3:52 PM on Aug. 2, 2010