I am 23 and don't drive. I need help but don't know where to turn. Any ideas?

This isn't really a "Just for fun" type question but I'm not sure where else to put this. I am embarassed about this but I really need help. I am absolutely terrified of driving. I have panic attacks. I did drive for a while. I had a permit and drove around all the time. But then almost everyone of my friends and family had told me about accidents they had been in. It started to scare me. Then I stopped driving and my fear has gotten worse. I have panic attacks just riding in cars. I need help so I can get my liscense and live a normal life. I hate being a burden on my friends and family when I need to go somewhere. I have 2 kids no babysitter or someone to drive me (just moved and hubby works weird hours) to a counselor or class to fix this. Any ideas? Please no bashing or put downs. I am really self consious and embarrased about this. (Also I'm a military wife, anything on base maybe? or through tricare?)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Fear of driving is a dangerous thing, I would seek some kind of counseling before you take up driving again, nothing to be ashamed of but you got to deal with the problem somehow.

Answer by older at 3:41 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I know how you feel. I am 23 also and don't drive. I don't trust people i ride with and im always freak'n out. I was riding with a friend and was smacked my a Deisel. Ever since then i don't drive. Have you tried counseling? I only talk to my husband about it and he is really understanding. He supports me not matter what. But recently I have just been getting in a car slowly and working my way up.
    charmd18

Answer by charmd18 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• You need to do it in steps to gain back your confidence. because With driving you need to stay focused on the road. You should take short trips maybe to the grocery store or run a short errand just to get used to being on the road again. It's not that you've forgotten how so all you have to do is ignore those that tell you horror stories. And don't forget your safety belt since you really don't want a fine for you and anyone else who may ride in the car with you. You need to practice what is considered "defensive driving" because people do stupid things on the road and you must be aware of them. Examples; changing lanes without signaling, double parking which include delivery trucks that do that all the time, and those who go through traffic lights thinking they'll save time, backing out of parking spots without looking in their mirror for cars passing. You get the idea..
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Check this out: http://overcomefearofdriving.org/

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. My mom was older than you when she learned how to drive, so no feeling badly about it.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:58 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I would visit a professional that you can talk this out with or see a hypnotherapist who can help you overcome your panic and anxiety when you begin to feel fear of driving.
    Fear is a natural thing, but when it holds you back from doing something natural and needed in your life, then it becomes a serious hindrance.
    Unless you want to rely on other people, buses, walking, and taxis for the rest of your life, then you need to seek a little help sweetie. It's okay....don't be embarrassed. We all have fears.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 4:49 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• OMG I am 23 and I dont know how to drive so i can relate! I am not scared nor do i get scared when I am in a car with other people my problem is well fist I need to learn since I have never had a permit or anything but also I am scared of other drivers. I am confident that when I do learn to drive I will do fine but Im scared of other drivers on the road that may crash into me. I have 2 kids also and i hate being stuck home while my SO is at work with our car. I wish I knew how to drive so that I could drop him off at work sometimes and get things done like grocery shopping or doctors appointment, etc. I hate having to work around his schedule. Im starting school again soon to so I feel like he is my taxi driver. ugh

josephsgirl86

Answer by josephsgirl86 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 3, 2010