Jews weren't alone durring the hollicost... Why do you think we never hear about the others? Do you even know who they were?

Jews are seen as these tortured people in recient history because of the hollicost. But they were far from the only people there. But they are the only ones we hear about... So I want to know how many of you actually knew that other religous groups were treated just as badly? Why don't we hear about them more?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:35 AM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• *reply continued*
    They didn't die so that you people can sit here and argue over whether or not one religious or ethnic group is more hated, reviled or victimized than another...they died because they encountered ignorance and evil, and they stood up for what was right and proper. Instead of arguing, learn from their example-remember that people didn't care enough to do anything about it, so these people died-no one would help them. Remember that they kept to their faith in the face of the darkest fate possible. They were all human, they were all killed, and that is all that matters
    TempestRayne

Answer by TempestRayne at 6:41 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Well, you and I both know, dah-ling, that Jehovah's Witnesses were persecuted. But I also know that gays were too. I am sure that those that spoke loudly enough against the Nazi Regime we sent to the camps also.

I have thought alot about this same question, I think that Jews were the largest and seemed to be a primary group to be persecuted that everyone else seems to fall by the wayside.

evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 10:56 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• It is because Hitler singled them out the most. There were a lot of different people there but Hitler set out to exterminate the Jewish people because he blamed them for all Germany's woes. If you read anything about Hitler, it is clear his hatred of the Jews. The others were swept along in it. There are many who tried to hide the Jews. When he went into a town he closed down the broadcasting centers, the churches, and the religious schools. It is somewhat like slavery--there were black slave owners---many African tribes helped capture those sent into slavery--but you don't hear much about that:-) 

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 11:11 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Really? JW's were?I had no idea. I would really like to research that now. It makes me feel good in a sense that my faith has continued on no matter the persecution we get from this world. And Sabrinabowen....you rock.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• For the poster that wants to do some research on the JWs being there look up the Purple Triangle... That is what they were forced to wear instead of the Star of David.

Pagans where their in force too....
    As were gays...

I know that hitler had real "issues" with the Jews. But my question really is why are these other groups not mentioned when you see holicost movies or TV shows... They are rarely ever even mentioned in the books... Why is that? In your oppinion.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:43 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I knew they had a special star for homosexuals. They also imprisoned gypsies, certain nationalities and they also sent away mentally handicapped people. I would assume because it was some 6 million Jews, the other numbers were a drop in the bucket in comparison.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:47 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Actually the homosexuals wore pink -- you will still see that "pink" triangle today as a sign of pride.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:50 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Pink Triangle The Nazi concentration camps developed a system of badges to be worn by inmates depending on why they were imprisoned. Those convicted of sexual deviance, primarily homosexuality, were required to wear a pink triangle. Jews were required to wear the yellow Star of David. Purple designated Jehovah's Witnesses, red for political criminals, black for asocials, including the Roma, and green for criminals.

http://frank.mtsu.edu/~baustin/glossary.html

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:51 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I was refering to the Gypsies when I stated pagans... As that is what they are... Just not what many people think of... I wanted to be clear!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:57 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Unlike the Jews, Slavs and Gypsies, who were targeted for racist reasons, the Jehovah's Witnesses could have chosen to submit to the Nazi regime. However, even though they faced persecution, torture and/or incarceration in concentration camps, the great majority stood by their beliefs – and an estimated 2,500–5,000 died for them.

Taken from: http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/H/holocaust/victims4.html

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:58 AM on Oct. 4, 2008