My son had his 4 mo check up and all was fine but then the Dr said that his head was flat on one side and that he should try physical therapy and possibly a helmet. His llikes to sleep on one side. His range of motion is fine. I am wondering if I should take the dr advice now or take a wait and see approach and position him on the other side when sleeping. It just seemed a bit rushed to me. Anyone else have this with their child/ren? Thanks!

Meza314

Asked by Meza314 at 4:23 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• just keep turning his head when he is sleeping, my dd was like that too, she perfered to sleep on one side, the nurse told me to just keep switching her head when she was sleeping like every hr. she is not 21 months old and her head is normal
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 4:25 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Wait & see...........
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:26 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My doctor warned me about laying positions, she always said to switch it up so that my sons head wouldn't shape flat on one side. I'd deffinately start make him sleep in another position or if the head is already really flat a helmet might be the way to go.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:27 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think if a helmet is needed the earlier you do it the better. If you wait too long then the head can't be reshaped and the flatness would be permanent. I would seek the advice of a specialist now and if you can fix the problem without the helmet they will be able to help you and teach you specific things to do that will help solve the problem.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:31 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• He needs to be in a sitting position more often. Try letting him nap in a swing or bouncy seat

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• my grandmother actually told me about this..if your doctor is advising you to do this then they obviously are already seeing a problem and i think you should take their advice.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Try putting him to bed with his head at the other end of the crib...most kids pick a side because it is looking towards the door or towards the wall...if you rotate him, he'll likely switch sides so that he looks at the same thing he was looking at before.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:34 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I would get a second and maybe a third opinion. Four months seems a little early to be concerned about it, but I haven't seen the child's head. So definitely take him and have someone else look at it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:34 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I would wait until closer to 6 months and then re-evaluate if it was me. until then try switching head positions and make sure to get in a good amount of tummy time. It is also helpful when doing floor time to put the favorite toys on the side that is not favored so encourage them to turn their head. I went through this with DD.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• i think if the helmet is going to work the earlier u start the better. i would check into it further with the 2nd opinion, etc. i cant imagine the doctor would recommend such an expensive device if it wasnt necessary. i do know that as the baby grows sometimes u need to get another helmet/ so i think u need to look into this further. it is his head so u need to do the best thing for your baby. good luck.
    emily1234

Answer by emily1234 at 4:46 PM on Aug. 2, 2010