Why do people buy babies such dumb things?

Well, not ALL people, but my crazy mother in law. At Easter (keep in mind that my son was born January 24th), she made him an Easter basket full of chocolate candy. I understand wanting to give him his first Easter basket, but candy? Really? Then, when he was 6 months old, she bought him some 0-3 month size sleepers and a giant-size Hershey bar. At 7 months, she brought over some foam puzzles that say 3+ years (I can just see him taking a huge bite out of that foam, so they're put away until he's old enough) and a "baby food feeder" thing-- the bottle deal that you put baby food in if you're trying to teach them to eat baby food or cereal. He had already been eating baby food for 3 months at that point. ((continued below))

heather.huckaby

Asked by heather.huckaby at 10:47 AM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Now, when he's 8 months old, she bought him a swimming man bathtub toy. He has very pointy arms that you wind up & they "swim" really fast, not to mention all of the parts that will easily come off when pulled. It was rated for ages 3+. She also bought some tshirts that are size 2T. She doesn't understand why we don't/can't use these things right now. She's crazy! Luckily, these times that she bought him things are the only times she has ever came to see him (and she only lives 20 minutes away. ugh!), so we could easily make her think that we just happened to not be using these things on the times she came. I hate to sound ungrateful, because I do appreciate the gifts & he will use them when he's old enough, but I get so frustrated with her and these random gifts!

What crazy/dumb gifts have you received for your baby?
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 10:48 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• lol some people just aren't good at it. and you are right to be grateful for the gesture.
    lol those were some crazy things to buy for a kid tho lmao
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:55 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• maybe you should tell her everything you just told us, maybe she really is clueless--give her a clue. sounds like you have nothing to loose.
    i'm lucky my children's grandparents buy the best gifts,i'ld be lost without them.
    pam228

Answer by pam228 at 10:55 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• When Avalon was 2 my in-laws bought her a glass tea set from a garage sale. I put it up out of her reach so she couldn't get it. When they came over a week later they wanted to see her use it, and were actually surprised when she promptly threw a piece down and it broke. Um, she's 2 and it's GLASS!! So now they only buy her "soft" things because she's not gentle enough.
    bdotmom

Answer by bdotmom at 10:56 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Ughhh, I understand how you feel. My MIL has to make my son's Easter basket every year and damn if she doesn't put loads and loads of candy and chocolate in it. He's not allowed to eat sugar damnit! It makes me so mad. She also bought him 100.00 cowboy boots...he's 7...*rolls eyes. I feel your pain girl. All I can say if save what you can't use until you can and then throw or give away what you cant. :)
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 10:59 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I try to 'work in' what kind of toys my son likes and what size clothes he wears. Sometimes my parents and in-laws listen... sometimes they don't. I re-gift or donate the items that he is too big for and put everything that he will use one-day into a box in our garage. If they ask what happened to something, I tell them the truth. They are usually happy to know that something they bought was okay for some kid (even if it isn't always their grandkid).
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:08 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I forgot to mention the purple and pink outfit with a butterfly on it that she bought before we even knew what we were having... Even if we would have had a girl, we couldn't have used the outfit. It was a 6 month size SWEATSUIT... At 6 months old, it was the middle of the summer!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 11:12 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• When my children were young I taught them to smile politely and say "Thank you, Nana. I was hoping you would buy underwear for my Birthday." It is the thought that counts. Even though she has no idea what to buy for your child you should be thankful she is buying him gifts. Put them away until he is older or give them away. Unless she asks to see him use them it isn't really going to matter. My Grandmother is 98 years old. For as long as I can remember she has sewed clothing for kids in my family. Nothing she makes fits, nothing is in style, very little of what she makes is ever worn but every child knows that Nana loves them. When I was a child in the 1960s this dear woman baked Birthday cakes for all 22 of her Grandchildren. Every one of us got a lopsided, Birthday cake, burnt on the bottom and topped with hard candy decorations from our 1st birthday until our 18th. We knew that women loved us. Count your blessings.
    coug70_99

Answer by coug70_99 at 11:39 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I guess I'm lucky. My mom and MIL both know what size my dd wears and generally don't buy her toys and unneccesary items. My mom, on occasion, will send something either two sizes too small or one size too big, but on average does pretty well. She also handstitched some dresses after I asked if she wouldn't mind since money was tight at the time and my dd really wanted long dresses. She's even finally stopped adding an "e" to the end of her name! Good luck, put things away that aren't age/size appropriate until they are and put the candy in the freezer in freezer bags and enjoy the free candy for yourself!
    Donna1

Answer by Donna1 at 12:11 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• lmao i thought of my fiances grandmom and aunt when i read this. They buy my daughter things that arent even ment for a baby. Like a few weeks ago, she is 10 months old, they got her a glass snow globe and a beach chair!? wtf? she cant even use these things, why would you get them for her? I dont think that they have ever once gotten her an age appropriate toy. Idk?
    Anonymous