Low-Energy games to play with high-energy preschooler?

I have a 3.5 year old son and a 3.5 week old son. I need more ideas to entertain the older boy while at the same time not having to put down the 3.5 week old. I don't drive and we don't have a backyard just a parking lot with no shade.So I need indoor game ideas for those days where it's too hot to go outside and I've exhausted the usual games.

Energy-burning games preferably. (For him, not for me)

I'm doing okay so far, but I've got another month or two of this darned heat to deal with.

Gruntlings

Asked by Gruntlings at 4:33 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Indoor treasure hunt

Build a fort and then you can relax while you plays in it

Bozo bucket

Blind-fold him, put a little bit of food in his mouth and have him guess what it was

Guessing game: put something small in a few different brown lunch bags, he closes his eyes and puts his hand in the bags and tries to guess what's in there

Good luck! ;)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 4:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Activities that require "work" might be what you're looking for (I also have a high energy 3 yr old). Put books (or some other weight) into a laundry basket, add a few stuffed animals on top and have him take the animals for a "ride" (push around kitchen). Build a simple obstacle course with pillows or blankets for him to crawl over, around and through. Put the pieces to a puzzle at one end of the course and the board at the other. Have him bring a piece with him each time through the course until the puzzle is done (or some other task he enjoys). Have him help you carry things from room to room (obviously things he can't break if dropped) or even help "wash" the floor (a little water and a cloth) if he likes to help out. When all else fails, teach him how to do jumping jacks! That's what we resorted to one rainy day!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:02 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Puzzles, coloring, painting, playdoh, crafts of any kind, baking
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 4:35 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Calm games that are good: go fish (either with real go fish cards or a deck of cards-excellent way to teach numbers and a couple letters), candy land, chutes and ladders, matching (again, with any cards).
    You could sit and tell him to play charades and you just guess what character he'd doing, or what movie or scene he's acting out.
    Set up some art stuff (scissors, old magazines to cut from, glue sticks-easier to clean-, markers, crayons, plain printer paper or construction paper) and see what he can come up with.
    Hide and seek. He can go hide and you can pack the baby around and find him.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:38 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Most of my games require a group, but some could be adapted to one or two.

Freeze dance- put music on, have the kids dance, randomly stop the music, the kids freeze. any movement gets them out. Play till only one person left.

4 corners- write 1 2 3 4 on popcicle sticks, and 4 sticky notes. Put a number on 4 walls, count to 10 slowly. kids stand by one number as you count. Say freeze and draw a stick. The kids standing by the number choosen are out. Play till one kid left.

change game- one kid changes something (like untie a shoe, roll up a sleeve) the others have to guess what was changed.

Simon says, I spy, are also good choices,
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 5:05 PM on Aug. 2, 2010