Questions about The Early Head Start Program.

I already asked this qustion as a post in a group but am not really getting much response so i thought i would ask it here also.

My son will be 3 this month and has been working with "Any Baby Can" to deal with his speech. He talks fine to me but apparently others cant understand him :o) So they suggested that he goes to early head start. There's one just down the road from me so I thought it would help with speech/socialization. I went to sign him up and I'mnot so sure if its for us anymore. They said a teacher will come do a "home visit" 2x a year and Its a requirement that i volunteer for 4 hours a month. That's not a problem b/c I have a 6 y/o in school now and do that anyway but like i said- everything just kind of sounds weird to me.
I wanted a parents perspective. Does anyone have there kids in this program? What do you think of it? They keep saying its NOT daycare but no one really explains to me how its different.

beka03

Asked by beka03 at 4:37 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son was in head Start. He learned as though he was in Kindergarten. I did volunteer and attend parent meetings.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My daughter's preschool had the option of a 2X a year home visit or I could meet with the teacher at the school. You could ask if that's alright.
    I think it's a good thing to get them in there and if the visit is the only thing holding you back, go for it. It took my daughter from a shy kid to the outgoing, unafraid girl she is now. Plus, she's so far ahead of the other kids in the kindergarten class she's going into. They weren't expecting the kids to be able to write their names, to recognize the alphabet, to count to 20, until Christmas break. They weren't expecting them to be able to do basic math (2+2=4 and such) until the end of the year.
    Preschool is a good place for the socialization too.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:53 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Early Head Start? If he's almost 3, he's already too old for EHS. Are you sure they didn't just mean Head Start itself which is 3+?

My son starts HS next month, so right now I don't know exactly what it's about either, so here's a bump for you.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:22 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My oldest DS went to an Early Learn Center, kind of similar to headstart. Its with the public schools, and they do speach therapy along with a preschool cirriculum. I know here they evaluate each child seperatly to see what help they need. So you'd have to call your district you live in. Its something else to look into if you are un-sure about Head start.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 4:10 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• i think that 3 is normal for starting school and having parent/teacher visits etc... my oldest is starting a K3 program at the local Coop this fall (to work with her on speach as well)... she is easily understood but has a physical deformity in her mouth and she needs to work on some sounds...

i don't think that a meeting with the teacher or "working" there is too much to ask... i would think it strange if the teacher DIDN'T want to meet with you....

K3 or Early head start (which wouldn't be for 3 year olds) is really glorified day care... the kids are kids, they learn through play... but they are also (more than likely) going to learn socially acceptable behaviours, sitting at a table/desk, listening, and more "school" skills...
    asil

Answer by asil at 12:11 PM on Aug. 4, 2010