Today I was monitored by the business manager in person.

Today I was monitored by the business manager in person. No, this is not a good thing. The reason that I was told is that I've had a few hiccups that is causing me to delay in a duty that should only take me two hours. She said that she wanted to see what my issues were to counsel me. The problem is that I had the worst day that I ever had at this job because of being monitored. Usually, everyday I'm within $.20 of on on-hand (both on-table and safe count combined), which $5 is the limit of tolerance. But because of being watched by management in person(I have no trouble with cameras), I counted over $50 that was co-counted by the manager. I freaked so badly that the day got worse and worse. I remember that I had to deal with being slow in my early twenties, but now I'm 42yrs old. Why am I slow, am I brain damaged, have ptsd, obsessive compulsive rechecker or a emotionally disabled to think?

~Scared of being fired

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• Probably the stress of having someone watching over your every move. Especially someone like your manager. You can sense their is a lot riding on doing well. However, that may not be a true picture of your real performance on a day to day basis.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• The reason that I was told is that I've had a few hiccups that is causing me to delay in a duty that should only take me two hours.

***
    I don't understand what "hiccups" you are referring to that would prevent you from accurately counting a company's money? Counting money isn't hard, unless you are trying to cover up a mistake or theft.

If you make an accounting error, it's always best to EXPLAIN what happened, and your REASONING for why you did what you did, and that you have LEARNED from your mistake, and will be more CONSCIENTIOUS in the future. Blaming your errors on some "unknown" medical condition sounds like excuses. If you think you are incapable of handling your job requirements, perhaps you should be looking for a different job!

Sorry, if this sounds harsh, but I've been a manager in past positions, responsible for handling tens of thousands of dollars at a time, and accounts receivable, and never had a "hiccup"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:46 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I really think they take into account the fact that you might have been nervous because they were watching you. We used to be QA'd all the time at the call center. Seriously, whenever I saw the guy that did QA, I would become physically sick to my stomach. UGH!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:22 PM on Aug. 3, 2010