isn't the religion of a child based on the mother?? adult content

Ok, I don't want to bi#@h but my DD 's is send her to bible study w/ his sister...I like his sister and am glad she gets to visit w/ fam. but i would prefer she do just that visit...not attened a church that had her cousins telling me and my older children that we are going to hell becouse we don't go there.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I personally wouldn't let it bother me. How old is your DD? I think it's best to let the child believe what they choose to believe instead of pushing ones religion on their child. Let your DD go and have some fun. I went to church with my friend all the time even though I thought they were fanatics about it. I went to vacation bible school with her every year, was in their Christmas play. It was just all in good fun. Try not to stress about it too much.
    sweettigeress

Answer by sweettigeress at 4:42 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I had the same problem with my mom trying to sneak my girl to some church thing or other (one of the summer day long things). Mom would ask if Kyra could spend the night, which is something we used to do about once a week, and I'd have my sister about once a week. Sort of a fun trade off :-) Then I found out on the day mom had Kyra she was sending her with a friend knowing my thoughts on it. I hear all the time from my sister (9) that me and Kyra are going to hell for not going. And that I'm responsible for keeping her from hell. But how can we go to a place we don't think exists?
    When she's old enough to understand and question what's being told to her and not to blindly follow out of fear, I will have no problem with her going and checking out other religions. But for now, it's my choice.
    I'm with you on this.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:42 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• i got my religion from my dad. my mom didn't go to church, but had no problem with my dad taking me.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 5:12 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Traditionally yes, but now a days with interfaith marriages the parents decide and do what works for them. Personally our children will be allowed to explore and make their own decisions when they are old enough and if that means they ultimately believe I am going to hell then so be it. Her age would be my gauge as to how upset I was and how she took it the whole your parents are going to hell thing too.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:20 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• We are allowing our children to choose. My DH reciently decided he wanted to try church again after being agnostic for years, me I'm more pagan. I don't push either on our children and truthfully I don't even think that they know that I'm not christian lol. I have no problems with him taking the children to church as long as he doesn't want me to go with them.
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 5:33 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I only allow my kids to attend Catholic church, so I agree
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:31 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• It wouldn't bother me. I think children should have the right to experience all types of religion and let them choose on their own what they want to follow. My parents are Christians and I am not. I consider myself a Unitarian Universalist. I will allow my DD to choose whatever religion she believes in the most. If she wants to be a Christian, good for her. If she wants to be a Buddhist, good for her. If she wants to be an Atheist, good for her. As long as she doesn't try to push her religion on me or anyone else, I'm totally fine with what she chooses.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:39 PM on Aug. 3, 2010