MIL debate on properly freezing/refrezzing food

I have 10 lbs of frozen hamburger meat. I intend to make burgers out of it tomorrow for dinner. I want to freeze the leftover cooked burgers individually for a quick lunch or dinner later in the month. I see nothing wrong with doing this, but my mother in law is adamant that we will all die from food poisoning.

What do you ladies think??

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 4:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Food & Drink

• As a Food Service manager it is ok to freeze something only 1 time and rethaw it after that do not do this as it could result in food poisioning. I went to school for this you can cook it twice that's it.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 4:53 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I have canned and frozen food for 21 years...and if the meat is fresh and cooked then you can freeze it one time....if it thaws out after that then it should be eaten and not frozen again.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 4:44 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think it's okay to freeze as long as you cook it. I'm pretty sure you're just not supposed to thaw frozen meat, and then refreeze uncooked meat again. Sorry I'm no help lol.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 4:45 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• as long as it is sealed properly you should be fine. you are more likely to get food poisoning from uncooked meat than cooked.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:46 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• This website link - will answer all your questions ...

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Basics_for_Handling_Food_Safely/index.asp
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:48 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• i don't know for sure..i do know that if you buy meat in bulk you should portion it out and then freeze it instead of refreezing it every time. i don't know if you can get food poisoning from it. i hope not though because i set some meat in my fridge and let it thaw and then decided we wanted pizza so i set it back in the freezer for later this week. I think it will be okay as long as it stayed cool in the fridge. You should never set food in room temp to thaw...you could get food poisoning that way..i do know that.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:50 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• As long as you cook it before you freeze it again it's fine. I do this all the time!! No one in my house has died yet!
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 4:51 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think you MIL is a little confused. Freezing cooked meat is fine, now if you said you were going to refreeze uncooked hamburger meat after unthawling it once then you would be asking for food poisoning. I freeze cooked burgers all the time, just cook, cool, seperate with a double layer of waxed paper and freeze. It is so nice to have ready burgers! My family really likes it if i fry onions and make brown gravy to put over the burger with white rice. YUM
    And here it is on the USDA web site saying it is just fine. That should help stifle your MIL.
    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Ground_Beef_and_Food_Safety/index.asp
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 5:02 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• It is just FINE if it is already cooked, but it may not taste that great. :)
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 4:47 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• If you cook it first...You can absolutely freeze them.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:47 PM on Aug. 2, 2010