would you buy a used infant car seat that came from a reputable used baby store?

mommatink83

Asked by mommatink83 at 4:50 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes why not? if it is in good condition and you save $ it is a good deal.

Answer by older at 4:51 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No. That is one item you should never buy used.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 4:51 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Yes of course. I bought a car seat for my granddaughter at a Thrift Store for 2.00. It was a great deal. I don't buy into all this name brand, expensive car seat stuff though.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:52 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• A few years ago I would have said yes. I am all about buying used. I buy nearly everything we have from thrift stores and yard sales. However, there are so many recalls on carseats and used stores do not check that before they put them out. I would not buy one from a used store. Anything else for the new little one would be okay used but not the carseat.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 4:53 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No.Chances are,they picked it up at a garage sale. You dont know the history. My local used baby shops refuse to sell carseats. Only buy a used seat from someone you trust with your childs life-such as a relative. If the carseat has been in even a minor fender bender-its no good! The only way to know is if you wreck yourself and see if it fails. Not a chance you want to take.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 4:53 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• hsmominky, I agree. Not only that, you truly don't know if that car seat has been in an accident. There may be damage that you can't see. They also expire.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 4:55 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No
    If a car seat has been in an accident, you are not to use it again. Even if the consignment store was reputable, there is not way of knowing if the previous owner was as honest. If they had an accident, and you bought the seat, your child could be in danger as there could be unseen stress points in the seat.
    This is why a car seat is something you should never buy used.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:56 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Im an advocate for Britax carseats, but I understand they are pricey and not everyone wants to spend that much. But Walmart sells carriers for like $40-50. The Evenflo Discovery5 is cheap and GOOD. I love a good deal too....Im SUPER thrifty. I dont buy hardly ANYTHING new. But a carseat is meant to save your childs life, that is not something you want to scrimp on.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 4:57 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No. I would rather spend more money and buy it new and know it's history and know that it's safe.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:58 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No, car seats normally have a 2-3year warranty. Most carseats in a used store are past that warranty. You dont have to buy an expensive carseat to begin with, but why would you risk your childs safety. I bought a muli age carseat, it goes from infant to toddler, rear and foreward facing.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 4:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2010