Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

A mother with some need of advise

My daughter is three and I still don't know what is wrong with her . She doesn't talk, nor walk and acts like a 1 year baby, know doctors are sending her to a metabolic specialist and that is taking longer. I am getting stress out, my daughter is not getting better and am afraid she will not progress. Am going crazy, help help

Answer Question

Asked by symphony07 at 4:55 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 2 (6 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • easier said then done, but try not to worry about it. Every child advances at their own level. And by taking her to the Dr, they're going to be able to get her any help she needs early, so that is a great thing. Hang in there mama! HUGS!!

    Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 4:57 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

  • I do understand the stress of having a child not be where she should be - or any where close to where she should be developmentally. Of course you freak out. You want your child to have the best possible chances in life and that means also getting her the assistance she needs now to have the best possible future later. Been there done that. If your child's primary care doctor is not as aggressive in finding the right specialists to diagnose her issues then it may be time to find a new doctor. I did find a new doctor for my son when I was hitting a brick wall with his doctor. I found a really good fit who was willing to listen and refer to specialists. It will take time to find the right diagnosis or there may be several things, not just one, going on. The key is to know you are moving forward, even if that means you have a scheduled appointment with a specialists. When you have the right diagnosis then you can find

    Answer by frogdawg at 7:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

  • the right plan of care for your child and begin treatment. My son is almost four and we still tracking down what the issues are. I live each day as it comes, that he is here with me now, that today is a good day, and enjoy the day I have in this moment. It IS frustrating, it IS scary, I DO want to yell at people around me at times who mean well.....but all in all I take each second as it comes. I have done therapy with my child for early developmental issues and I went after all I could get for him. But I also understand that what is going on cannot be fixed in one day or even one year necessarily. It can take many years before the full picture is understood. Even then treatment can be hotly debated. Hang in there and know you are not alone.

    Answer by frogdawg at 7:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

  • Contact your local School Department's Special Education Office. If she is really as delayed as you are describing, then they should be able to help you get some services through them (it is Federally mandated, and every state has such a program, usually run by the local school system. Depending on your state, it may be run through another agency, but if this is the case the Special Education Department should be able to point in the right direction.) They can provide evaluations, free of charge to you, and get Special Education Services started for her to help get her on track. There is an eligiblity process, but the earlier you start, the better. They my not be able to diagnose her, depending on what is wrong, but the important thing is that they can get her some help and help her develop some skills. Meanwhile, continue to go through your doctor to find some answers.

    Answer by romeece at 7:46 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

  • I totally agree with romeece. In addition to following up on your doctor's recommendations, you want to get in touch with your school district to start to get speech, OT and other assistance that your child needs. My son has been in Early Intervention (deals with kids younger than 3) as well as the school based program since he was 18 months old. He's made a lot of progress and the people involved have been great in helping answer questions and address problems. I'd also probably get a second opinion from another pediatrician if you haven't already. It seems like a long time to get a diagnosis on a child that is 2 yrs behind developmentally but that's just my opinion and I don't claim to be an expert. Good luck!

    Answer by momofryan07 at 7:54 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

  • it can be stressful, but not knowing more about what she actually has (if any sort of delay) it's hard to say... she could just be a "late bloomer" or there may be a real issue... either way, you need to work with her dr's on it.

    Answer by asil at 12:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.