Now how does that work?

HM asked a question last night about an article that gets passed around, and in the article it misrepresents some stats on how people believe in creation/evolution. I mentioned the real results of the study, and how they are twisted by the article, and several people jumped in suggesting the stats I gave were incorrect. The reasoning - if the majority of Americans self-identify as Christian, the numbers I provided (35% evolution, 35% don't care, 25% creation) must be fabricated.

Now obviously, the numbers I gave are not fabricated (links following), but it does bring up a question - if the majority are Christian and the majority do not believe in creation, how is that reconciled?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:57 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Religious Debate

• NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Not all Christians believe in the literal word of Genesis. I think you'd need a poll of just Christians to show that point.

A lot of people don't understand basic statistics or math for that matter.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:23 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

The study includes breakdowns that account for that - a full quarter of regular church attendees believe in straight evolution, and the number goes on from there as attendance changes.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Many Christians believe in a Creator guided evolution, so if they are asked they will say they believe in evolution.  If I was surveyed I would have answered that I believe in evolution.  I believe God created the world through the design of evolution. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• There are Christians who believe in evolution. There are also people who would, if asked, identify themselves as Christian but not all would say that their religion has the same level of importance in their lives. Some Christians believe in taking the Word of God literally, some don't. I don't necessarily think that the 6 days in Genesis are a literal six days. The conversation the other day about adaptation vs. evolution was interesting. I did not have time to type up a good response. Maybe I'll open another thread on that some time.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 7:20 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No your facts were right. There isn't as much Christians as they think there are.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:24 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

Well, there are as many Christians, but the numbers on the gallup poll are accurate, too (and there are other studies over the years that back that up, so it's not a one time anomaly). What I'm more wondering is how so many people claim Christianity and at the same time are either unsure (the don't know category) or are definitely in the evolution camp. I get that there are always gray areas and interpretation, etc etc, but that's a lot of people taking wiggle room on a whole entire book of the bible, not just a single verse or a few words. I mean you can argue things like translating "poisoner" vs "witch" or adultery vs homosexual til you're blue in the face. Are there really that many ways to mistranslate "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" (not to mention all the verses after that describing the planet)?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:32 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Well, first off, you and I both know that Christianity no longer creates the majority in the US. Simple math says they can not. Last months poll about Atheism found that 15% of American's identify themselves as either Atheist or Agnostic. That means that EVEN IF 50% of all those who do have a belief in a greater power that would still only be 40% of Americans... Although newer studies say the number is somewhere around 33%.

Second off, I would have to say there are without doubt Christians who believe in evolution, or Creator Guided Evolution. In fact I know a few who do. And I would also have to think that a great number who when asked religious beliefs identify as Christian (like my DH) don't really live the life and most of THEM - fall in to the "don't care" category (again, like my DH)...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:53 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Most Christians take the Bible literally where they think it is meant to be taken literally. Where we don't agree is which places should always be taken literally and which shouldn't. There are verses talking about God taking us under His wing, but I don't know anyone who takes that literally to mean that God has wings. Catholics take John chapter 6 literally, most other Christians do not. Likewise, some Christians take the 6 days in Genesis literally and believe the earth is only about 6,000 years old. Others don't believe that we are meant to understand that as 6 literal days.

I don't see a contradiction between Christianity and believing in evolution or the Big Bang theory. I may question the validity of a conclusion to a particular study, but Genesis does not tell us how God created the heavens and the earth - it just says He did. I see DNA as God's master plan for life. I don't see a conflict between faith and science.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:07 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• If you know anything about statistics you have to know that its only a portion of people polled not all of America. So any stats you give is never 100 percent accurate.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:17 PM on Aug. 2, 2010