potty training--we mastered the portable potty, but now what about full sized toilets?

My son is 2 years and 4 months, and we have been potty training him on one of those small portable potties. He is doing great with it, but now I'm curious--what do we do at friends houses or in public? I have read so many things that says if their legs don't touch the ground, the muscles will tense up and they will not be able to go. Do I need to keep driving around with our portable potty in the back of my car?? :)

LBD3910

Asked by LBD3910 at 5:01 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no, do not drive around with the potty hehe. But do the same thing you do when he tells you he needs to use the bathroom. and tell him that since he is such a big boy now he is ALLOWED to use the big boy potty like mommy and daddy do. and make it sound like a prize. and tell him how proud you are of him everytime he uses it. he will love the attention and want to use it more often. And thier legs not toughing the ground doesnt affect thier bowels at all.
    KENZIKISSES13

Answer by KENZIKISSES13 at 6:00 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• i agree. my son is 20 months and hated the portable potty. we put him on the big toilet and hes been potty trained since. we use a potty seat that connects to the toilet at home so i can just sit him on it. at the stores, at first i would sit behind him and hold him, now i can just sit him on it himself and he holds himself up. actually today he told me he wanted to pee like daddy, so he started peeing standing up! i couldnt believe it haha, but of course now i have to go clean the bathroom after him peeing all over the toilet all day. but each time he got it on the seat, he got toilet paper and tried to clean it himself, i guess he saw my hubby do that haha, too cute!
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 8:45 PM on Aug. 2, 2010