I need advice please!! ALIMONY: What is it, how does it work and how do I get it?

Ok...DH and I are divorcing and he's playing hardball. We've been married 11 years and have two children (5 and 7). We will divorce in Oklahoma, but I am soon moving to Missouri. He makes about $1800 a month. I am a work at home mom and make around $900 per month.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• IMO, doesn't like you would get alimony, only child support. I'm no expert so I say contact an attorney.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 5:06 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Alimony is financial support after a divorce and is based on the laws in your state. Do you have a lawyer? If not, Google Oklahoma bar association and look for legal help to make sure you are represented throughout this divorce.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• yeah i get an attorney
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 5:21 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• You should speak with an attorney, but alimony isn't awarded very often anymore except in extreme circumstances.

Answer by missanc at 7:12 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'm no lawyer so def. talk to one but here where I'm at you only get alimony if you were unemployed and supported completely by your spouse for so many years I don't know if it's even still like that my mom got it back in 1992 and thats how the law was then but different states different laws and it's been what 18 years since then ? laws always change call a lawyer and find out even if you can't get alimony you can still get child support and attorny fees and all that
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 7:18 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• It depends. In Minnesota, you can get alimony. Even if you are working. And you will get child support for sure. But you will need to get a Lawyer. Get a good one...possibly a woman ? I had a woman attorney when I got my divorce. She was tough and really looked out for me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Aug. 2, 2010