What Would YOU Do?

If you knew your 15 yr old daughter was not yet sexually active and when you discussed it with her, she said she wasn't ready to do that. Would you still offer up birth control but at the same time tell her you would like her to wait BUT if she ever felt she was ready to have sex then she needed to come talk about it first so she could get birth control and condoms.

This is what I just did with my daughter, I told her as always I want her to wait until she's an adult BUT that if she were to decide she felt she might have sex with her boyfriend even though I don't agree I'd rather her be on birth control then be a grandmother.

So did I handle it well..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I think so. But, I'm no expert, I only have a 5 year old.
    But I think being open and supportive of any healthy decision is a good thing.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 5:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Good for you being brave.
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 5:09 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Yes you did mom, kudos!!!!

Answer by older at 5:09 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Yes, you did handle it well. :-)
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 5:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Yeah, you handled it way better than most moms do. The moms that cite religion or simply say "you WON'T do it" are the ones who end up being grandmothers at 40. def offer birth control regardless; you're right - it's better than potentially becoming a grandma and her potentially being a mom while she's still a kid herself.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 5:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Great Job!!! I agree with you.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think you did. I am a step mom to a 13 year old and her bio mom wanted to put her on BC just in case but my DH disagreed and felt this was leaving an open door for her to do it and basically saying it was ok, I agreed with him but we also did have a conversation with her as to why mom wanted to even put her on. We are very close, she told us she's not even thinking about that stuff, we also did ask her to come and talk to us when she felt she wanted to or had questions. I think that if you keep an open line of communication she will come to you in the future.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 5:11 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• If she was being honest (I wasn't when my mom asked me @ 15, and oops! @ 16 I had a baby), I think you did the right thing absolutely. Now, whenever she does get into that kind of thing she totally knows that you're there for her no matter what without judgement. Good job
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 5:13 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Bravo! You did an awesome job!
    epykpysmom

Answer by epykpysmom at 5:14 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• You know when I was growing up I wish my mom would have had the talk with me. I was having sex at 14 I know I should have!!!! I wasn't stupid thought I was scared of having kids I had my first child at 21lol.
    So great job I wish more parent's thought like you...... So we can stop seen teen mom's. No kidding
    elisabellaguna

Answer by elisabellaguna at 5:14 PM on Aug. 2, 2010