Sexual Assault & Rape

So here is a fresh subject, why isn't the American public more outraged about these crimes?

1 in 6 women will be a victim of attempted or complete rape in her lifetime.
1 in 33 men will be a victim of attempted or complete rape in her lifetime.
Victims of sexual assualt are 4 times more likely to contemplate suicide.
Every TWO minutes, another person is sexually assaulted in the USA.
15 out of 16 rapists will walk away free.
Almost 2/3 of rapes were committed by someone the victim knew.

So why do we let this go on? Why do we not fight for stricter laws for sexual assault victims? Why do we not cry out for help for these people like we do for the starving children in other countries? Why do we let this be swept under the rug?

Statistics are from Rainn.org.

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 11:00 AM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think it is so much sweeping it under the rug as it is just hard to prosocute. Most women will not press charges. Even though in your head you know it's not your fault you're still ashamed that you allowed it to happen. Even if you do press charges it is so hard to prove it's all a he said she said and unless you can get dna don't even think about charges sticking. Yes it is sick that this is so common that most of us have or will go through this but for now there isn't much we can do about it.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 11:12 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I completely understand the he said/she said thing. So why not pass laws making it easier to prosecute them? 60% of rapes do go unreported and many of them are because either the victim feels ashamed or because they don't think it will do any good.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:15 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Making laws that are easier to prosecute them would be great but there are also many cases where a girl gets pissed off and cries rape. It happened to a friend of mine thankfully it all got dropped because they realized she was lieing but it still ruined alot for him. Look at the Duke boys a few years back when that girl cried rape. Their lives were ruined for a year all because she wanted to make some quick cash on a false claim. As sad as it is that happens and as much as we need to protect the victims and put the rapists away you also have to be careful for those innocently accused.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 11:20 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Because we allow such garbage in our lives from entertainment. that we are desensatized to the real thing. We cry so much about personal freedom and we have a right to do whatever we want with our bodies and anyone else's that we loose site of boundaries. We sexualize out small kids and then wonder why they act the way they do and think is it ok if it feels good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I was a victim of this. My boyfriend at the time got one of his friends to make a move at me and I would go for it. So therefore he rapped me when I said no. All to find out that my boyfriend at the time was trying to get me to sleep with someone so he could break it off with me and leave me for my bestfriend. Needless to say the cops didnt buy it. Even though my boyfriend was seeing my best friend and so on and so on..so you are right they do walk away with nothing.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous poster - Thank you for sharing. I was raped by a 'friend' too and the police did nothing for me either. I am just trying my best to break the silence and make people realize and confront this problem.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:48 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I agree with the over sexualizing the youth. Parents should instill morals, modesty, and good judgement to today's youth and tell children that "hollywood" is just acting and not real life!!!!!!!!!!!!
    EmmahD

Answer by EmmahD at 1:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• 11:29 AM on Oct. 4, 2008 by: Anonymous
    That is a lot of the reason. If you walk into any store the clothes are way too short for children to be wearing even the toddler and baby clothes. I have to buy my daughters clothes 2 sizes bigger then what they actually should wear so their dresses reach their knees. Even holiday dresses. And some people just let anyone in their house without checking them out. I was at court for my sister child support hearing and they had a case of a man molesting a little boy and the mother didn't want to press charges. She let this man in her home TO LIVE without knowing anything about him. Needless to say the state did press charges.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:02 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• VERY good point!!!! And the bad part is that there is an extremely HIGH percentage of rapes/ sexual assaults that are NEVER reported!!! So just imagine what the true stats are!!! We definitely need to protect our own citizens from every aspect, not just look out for education, foreign policy, etc. We should be able to feel safe walking down the streets, etc... isn't this the land of the free, home of the brave.... rights to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness?????
    TARAmisu80

Answer by TARAmisu80 at 7:56 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• cause not many people believe in killing the bastards ...IMO all pedos and rapists need to die.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 9:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2008