How to find a job being a pregnant teen?

Everywhere I've applied doesn't take me seriously. Yes I'm seventeen, yes I'm pregnant. That doesn't mean I'm not qualified for a job. But every time I go in, They give me such a weird disgusted face, and just tell me they aren't hiring. When I know for a fact they are, when the sign just went up the day before, & is still up. I need to find any kind of job, In Clayton/Smithfield NC. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

dre.mommy.to.be

Asked by dre.mommy.to.be at 5:09 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• Don't feel discouraged, but a lot of places will not hire a pregnant woman. It depends on what line of work it is. To them, you're a liability. What happens if you slip and fall? What happens if they hire you and you have to quit 2 months later for maternity reasons? There are a whole lot of things they have to take into consideration before hiring a pregnant woman. Now, if you already had the job and you got pregnant, that would be a different story. They couldn't fire you for that, but they can refuse to hire you because of it. And beware, after your pregnancy is over it might be harder to find a job as well because a lot of companies need people with flexible hours. Having a newborn doesn't leave room for flexibility. Just keep your head up, you'll find something. I'm sure. Good luck!
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'm not sure you aren't just looking in the wrong places. Where I live, there are tons of pregnant people working in the malls. I, myself, hired a pregnant teenager. She went on to become my stylist after she finished beauty school.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:50 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• What skills do you have? Do you have a high school diploma or GED?

Chances are, your competition for these positions are people with more experience and skills; if you look at this from their point of view, you will understand why they are not considering you.

So, get your GED; take some Microsoft office classes (at least Word, Excel and Powerpoint); take a bookkeeping class, learn at least how to use Quickbooks.

You will find that it is easier to find a great job when you have great qualifications.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:33 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I agree with the first poster. You might want to try temp agencies...they often have light office work that you can perform pregnant, it's more flexible, you can builld up your resume and make potential employer contacts after you have your baby, and companies don't have to worry as much about liability or paying for your maternity leave. Granted, you won;t get health benefits, but it's better than nothing!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:42 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I worked at a super market before I went on maternity leave. I have been there for 3.5 years but between all my years being there we have hired about 5 pregnant girls. Try that most super markets will make sure you dont do anything that will harm you and the baby. When I was pregnant anytime I would have to life something heavy I would have someone who was not busy do it for me.
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 10:18 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• How far along are you? If you are pretty far along most places wont hire a new hire when they know they will leave on maternity leave soon. Maybe u can apply for a desk job or something a business might feel more comfortable hiring a pregnant woman for. Not sure really but good luck anyhow!
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 4:50 AM on Aug. 3, 2010