help! creative ways to announce an adoption...

We just found out that we are one of three families the birth family is considering as THE family to adopt their baby. The baby has already been born and has some minor special needs, so we know the gender and his age, etc. So I am trying to think of creative ways to announce this to our family. They know NOTHING about this at all. The only thing they know is that it is a dream of mine to adopt. They are not exactly the most supportive about it. So we're not saying anything unless we are the ones chosen. But once they get used to the idea, they'd be happy for us.

We have 3 girls and we want to adopt a boy. He'd only be grandson #2 out of 6 grandchildren for my parents!

This process is going extremely fast, so I am wanting to have an idea just in case we are chosen so I can get it together quickly. We'd have a few days (if I can hold it in that much longer!)

Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Adoption

• Just send a regular birth announcement like you would with any other new member of the family.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:22 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I've seen many "birth" annoncements - something like "(yours & DH's names) are proud to announce the birth of (baby's name), born on (date) at (time) measuring (weight & inches) and welcomed into our family through adoption on (adoption date). Proud big sisters are (your girls' names).
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 5:51 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• We sent out cards like what 4time-mom suggested. If you do adopt, you might want to consider buying a baby book geared toward adoption (if you plan to do a baby book). With our oldest, we were able to use a regular baby book. We had pictures of her bmom pg w/ her and I was at some of the prenatal appts, so we had some funny stories to tell. We had enough access to her bmom that we were able to use almost all of the pages and make it work. We added a family tree for her bfamily. With our youngest, I had to buy a special baby book because I would not have been able to use half the pages in a regular one. We didn't have pregnancy stories or pictures. He was four weeks old when he came home, so we didn't have a hospital pic.

Anyway, sorry to take this a little OT. I hope you get good news soon!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:46 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I would send a birth announcement that says Surprise, baby name, was born --------- .
    MiddletonFamily

Answer by MiddletonFamily at 1:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• With our second, I just sent out text messages when we got the referral that said "It's a boy!" But when we did our formal announcements after the adoption, we found a poem that fit how we were feeling. We put the day that they were born and the day that they joined our family =)

I thought about putting "We are proud to announce the newest member of our family- put the adoption date and 28 lbs, 28 inches long" But in the end we decided we thought that would be hokey and decided against it. Nothing against other families that might have done that, just not something we thought we would enjoy 20 yrs from now.
    yo_ho

Answer by yo_ho at 4:16 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• just tell the truth they have cards for adoption. but really the best way is the same way u did when you found out you where having a baby, only diff is this one will be there sooner. lol
    Manda_Evans

Answer by Manda_Evans at 12:28 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• i agree with the birth announcement
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 3:11 PM on Aug. 27, 2010