Do you agree that this should be considered neglect?

I saw a video of my dd when she was a year old, right after my dh got custody of her. It broke my heart because she couldn't even crawl! She was physically and mentally able to, but just didn't have the strength that she should have had because her bio mom would always either keep her in an infant carrier or on the couch with a bottle propped up in her mouth. She never had tummy time, never got played with, my poor baby! Don't you think her bio mom should be able to be charged with neglect for this? Or at least should have been? (dd is 4 now)

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 5:13 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• YES. It's a mom's job to make sure her baby grows in EVERY way. This mom took the lazy approach to motherhood, and her child is most likely still suffering. :(
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No I don't think she should have been charged with neglect. Babies learn at different times how to crawl babies are all different.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 5:16 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think it would be very hard to prove based on just one video. Kids develop at different speeds, and bio mom could deny everything.

I'm glad your dd is in much better hands now.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:18 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• hard to prove
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:18 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• without PROOF its hard to show if it was her fault or not to have her charged, even back then. I am glad your DD is so much better off now
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:19 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• babies should not be strapped in a carseat or locked in a play pen all day. how sad. i consider it neglect but i don't know if you could really charge a person with anything. Why would someone not one to have smart kids? It only looks bad on their part
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:20 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• You would have needed proof, that being proof from a doctor. It's very sad and yes, with all that you said it sounds like nelegect to me.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 5:22 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• sorry..not "want"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:22 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I don't think it qualifies as neglect but it doesn't sound like she will win "best mother award" either.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• That is how my son was before we got him. He was 3 and couldn't run, jump, put pressure to paper with a pencil (necessary to write.) He is 6 now and other than some social problems he is good. It is good that your husband got her when he did she could have turned out much worse.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:29 PM on Aug. 2, 2010