HELP New Mom - Mylicon Drops and Seizures?

Sending out an SOS .. as a new mom I'm REALLY concerned and hoping to get some feedback on this: I added 0.3 ml as directed on the Mylicon box to my 1 week old's 3 oz bottle. After 4 bottles, he began having seizure like activity. Have since quit adding Mylicon and seizure activity seems to have stopped after 3 bottles without medication. Has anybody ever had this before?

1FireSafeMom

Asked by 1FireSafeMom at 5:16 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used it consistently as directed & never had a problem. Have you spoken to your Dr.? It may be unrelated and a coincidence. Either way, you NEED to speak to your Pediatrician about the seizures ASAP.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:22 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• HIGHLY UNLIKELY that the Mylicon drops caused the seizure. The reason Mylicon drops are okay for babies and pregnant women is because they aren't absorbed by your body at all. They pass through your system completely undigested. This is also why they help with gas (same reason why fiber helps with constipation - it isn't absorbed by your body and just moves through your intestines). On another note...are you sure they were seizures? Lots of babies have jerky movements that are often mistaken for seizures. Follow this link to find out more: http://pediatrics.about.com/od/weeklyquestion/a/04_baby_tremors.htm
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I don't think he is supposed to have it with every bottle. Only when they are gassy and nothing else is working.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:18 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• You probably already have, but call the doc!! Those two things shouldn't be related, that I know of. Seizures are never good!
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 5:22 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• no, but i would def call the doc asap!!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 5:35 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I called and she didn't seem concerned ... said to bring him in tomorrow and I could go to the ER if I wanted but she didn't think it was necessary. I have read a bunch of stuff of the Mylicon drops today and didn't find anything with side effects of any kind but the seizure activity seems to have stopped which is quite odd ...
    1FireSafeMom

Comment by 1FireSafeMom (original poster) at 5:54 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• i wouldnt have givin it to him in his bottle i used to give it to my kids out of the dropper and not at every feeding . i would only give it to them if they were gassy
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 7:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Yes they were seizures - FINALLY home from the hospital but still unsure what has caused them. Waiting on test results and additional blood draws next week. Thanks ya'll for your help on this, it's been a rough week ... hope next week is better!
    1FireSafeMom

Comment by 1FireSafeMom (original poster) at 8:53 PM on Aug. 7, 2010