inter-racial relationships...

Okay, before I ask this question I want to clarify that I do NOT have a problem with inter-racial elationships. (I know it can be a very controversial question)

But for those of you who are with someone of another ethnicity and your SO's family doesn't speak your language, who do you get through that? I know it would have to be very difficult b/c you want a relationship with them, so how do you get past the language barrier?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Eeep, that's my problem with my boyfriend's family. Half of them speak english and spanish, the other half only speak spanish.

I'm trying my best to learn spanish, since the best way to learn is by surrounding yourself with native speakers. My boyfriend speaks both fluently, of course, so he corrects me if I say something wrong. Our relationship is totally normal, though, there's no language barrier between the two of us. His family is very nice and kind and since most of them live here in the states, they accept the fact that not everyone speaks spanish, and we try to communicate through my boyfriend or through hand gestures. Or they'll say one word in spanish that I know to get their point across. It's not that big of a deal, I'm always with my boyfriend when I visit members of his family anyway =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:18 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I dated someone that was out of my race, but his family spoke english so this is a hard one for me to answer. We had a child together and I was scared because I didnt know how to take care of the black person hair or anything like that. And another reason I was scared to do that is my babys daddy left me when I was pregnant...I dont have any friends from that race that I talk to everyday so it was hard for me. But me son came out with my hair the only thing that we worry about is ashy skin..
    Anonymous