Unitarian Universalist Church?

I am thinking about going to one this coming Sunday. But I was wondering if they usually have good kid programs? Sometimes I wish we were Christian just so my son could be involved in all the awesome activities.

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 5:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It will depend on the congregation, but ours has a huge kids' program. A lot of it will probably just depend on how many families vs older adults and/or singles there are.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:46 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• They have awesome kid Religious Education. The kids learn about every religion and get to go to different churches to learn too. So, that later they can pick their own path.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:30 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I would say check with the Church. I know exactly how you feel, Christianity has never made any sense for me, but I wish there were things locally to give my kids or even myself some fellowship and support. But even our "local" UU church is over 2 hours from us. But my advice would be contact someone who goes there and find out what is offered. Most churches I know of will vary what they offer depending on the need of the members I can't see why UU would be any different.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:33 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I am a UU and the religious education is fantastic! Go the UUA website and you will find detailed information on the programs. Also google your local church's website for more info.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 5:33 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• the kid programs are GREAT where i used to go to church. UU kids tend to beg their parents to go to church. i taught many different ages of sunday school including world religions to middle schoolers, environmentalism based on native american principles to 3rd-5th grade, dr. seuss readings in the summer to kindergartenders, and teamwork and self-empowerment and esteem-building to high schoolers. there are many wonderful activities as part of the curriculums, and there were special parts of the service just for the children - story time and then the adults would sing them back to their classrooms with a blessing when service and sunday school took place at the same time.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:17 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Contact the church. UU churches vary from one to another. We attended one that had an outstanding religious education program. But when we moved, the one where we are now... not so great (actually, most of the members of this church tend to dislike children). It's kind of hit and miss when it comes to UU churches.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 12:49 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Most of the UU churches and fellowships around us had GREAT kids programs....except for one. If the church you are thinking of going to has a website, check it first to see what they say about their kids RE program. I would also recommend sending them a message letting them know that you will be visiting so that if there are any special instructions you will know in advance. (I'm thinking of one of our churches that has separate buildings for childrens RE and teen group. I would not have known that I needed to take my kids to two different building or even which door to go in if I hadn't been there in advance.)

Oh, and keep in mind that this is summer. Many UU churches have different programming in the summer than they do the rest of the year, so if the children's program at the church isn't quite what you were looking for, try going back in the fall.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:43 PM on Aug. 3, 2010