got a good recipe for homemade spaghetti sauce and meatballs?

Any Italian moms ready to share some old family secrets?

luvschocolate

Asked by luvschocolate at 5:46 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Food & Drink

• put 3rd press olive oil in your pot...enough to coat but not soak the veggies. Add three teaspoons of salt, black pepper, &cumin,, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 cup parsley, 2/3 cups basil sir at low heat-do not burn. add one diced onion, 3 scallions, six cloves of garlic, 2 green peppers. stir until onion is soft. Add 2 cups of button mushrooms diced 1 white eggplant-peeled-seeded & diced (optional) and 1/2 grated carrot. stir at high low heat. add one can (4 oz) of tomato paste (hunts) fill can with water. Mix add1/2 cup of basil & pinch of salt. Mix until red is dark red not bright. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in and stir. Add 7-9 diced roma (plum) tomatoes stir, adjusting the heat to keep from burning. Add the water until the can is clean. Add about 1/4 cup parsley & basil. Stir and set to simmer. Add 2 shot glasses of red wine., stir and about 2 cups of water. Set to simmer for three hours, stirring constantly...cont
    elizabooks

Answer by elizabooks at 6:07 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• If you want a thinner gravy add a jar of Classico (& 2 of water) stir and let simmer for 4 hours instead of 3.
    Meatballs
    amounts depend on how much meat there is
    Ground beef, egg, breadcrumbs, parsley, diced garlic, black pepper. Mix and roll with palms to slightly larger than a golf ball. Should not see the egg and breadcrumbs, but should see the parsley.
    Either saute them in a pan with 3 in of water for 20 minutes OR add to gravy in the second hour of simmering. Stir gently so that the shape is maintained, but you must rotate them for complete cooking.
    elizabooks

Answer by elizabooks at 6:12 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I can but don't have measurements. My Nana didn't teach that way.

Sauce: saute chopped onions and garlic in olive oil unitl clear. Add ground beef and cook until beef is no longer pink. Drain. Return to pot, add chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce and a little tomato paste. Season with salt, pepper, and whatever italian seasons you like, all to taste. Let simmer for atleast a couple of hours to all day.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:11 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I don't have a recipe, but this is how I do it. I pour a good amount of olive oil into the bottom of my pot - a good coat, maybe 1/3 cup. I add fresh garlic - any form except whole (sometimes I'm in the mood to slice, sometimes I use my Pampered Chef squeezy thing). Let that go til the garlic is golden and fragrant. Add in tomatoes - if fresh (seeded & peeled) aren't available, I use canned stewed. Then any amounts, any variety of the following: eggplant (chunked, salted, drained, & rinsed), yellow summer squash (chunked), onions (rough chop), bell peppers (seeded, peeled, roasted is really good), fresh spinach, carrots, and I know I'm forgetting some. Season - I like a ton of sweet basil, some oregano, black pepper, a little salt, parsley. Cook over medium heat for hours, stirring every hour. After a few, I use my immersion blender to get rid of the chunks. Then I taste & reseason if necessary. I don't do meatballs though.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:29 AM on Aug. 3, 2010