Temper-tantrums...

I swear we go through about 50 a day here; spanking, time-outs... None of it works! And she's only 20 months old! fml... So, ladies: how do YOU deal with a bratty toddler? I'm about to start smoking again, I'm so stressed...

Kassey713

Asked by Kassey713 at 5:52 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• new_mom808: maybe its just me, but i couldnt imagine spanking my 20 month old 3 times over a tantrum. so you spank him and then cuddle with him, completely mixed messages. if my son starts screaming because hes not getting his way, i just walk away and let him scream. he knows now that screaming gets him nowhere and i don't deal with many tantrums anymore. if he comes up to me and wants to be held, i just look him in the eye and tell him you need to stop crying and i will hold you, and he does. i guess spanking is just not for me, at least not this young.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 8:41 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Always ignore them, any attention i.e. babying or punishing is attention so just let them scream. Its so frustrating but after a bit they learn that when they act like it does nothing and they get nothing. it will seem never ending but if you have to just go to another room they cant die from crying and they wont be scarred for life i promise!
    3kidcircus

Answer by 3kidcircus at 5:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• spank, and put in thier room. alone. until they decide to stop thier tantrum. then let them out. if they fall asleep. let them be. when they wake up. dont mention it. but do it EVERYTIME the EXACT same way. and they will put two and two together soon enough. its just a stage.
    KENZIKISSES13

Answer by KENZIKISSES13 at 5:54 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'm with you!my lil one will be 3 in a few weeks and my lord shes has her days when she drives me up the wall.crying,screaming,kicking,hitting,etc. all for no reason.She'll get her time outs and everything.i just learned to just let her cry it out on her own.If she does it in a store i just pay for my stuff and leave.I just pray she grows out of it soon.really soon.lol..GL
    brokenheartmom

Answer by brokenheartmom at 5:57 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'm definitely with you on those tantrums. DD is only 14-months-old and it drives me nuts. Yesterday I was getting her into her bathing suit to play in the water with my mom and she was throwing herself EVERYWHERE!!!! She hits and kicks and I'm going nuts here! I try not to spank her b/c I don't want her to think it's okay to hit, so I just hold her legs (or arms, whatever she is using to harm me) and tell her that it will not be tollerated and if she does it again, she will be put in time out. She usually stops when I do that. It doesn't stop the continuous tantrums, but it does stop her from kicking or hitting me!
    Good Luck!
    P.S. I am dreading "Terrible Two's" if this is how she is NOW!!!!
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 6:02 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I know it's just a stage, but it's so damn frustrating! And I thought teething was bad... I think I just found my answer to my hubby's "wanna try for a boy?" joke. NO WAY do I wanna do this a 2nd time; I'll end up with all-white hair by the time I'm 30...
    Kassey713

Comment by Kassey713 (original poster) at 5:55 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Yeah, I'm not gonna "just let her scream." Spawn whipped a sippy cup at my head today. Fuuuuuuuuuck this...
    Kassey713

Comment by Kassey713 (original poster) at 6:48 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• If it's just a tantrum, he gets a spanking, then sits on my lap. If he doesnt calm down, he gets another one and stays in my lap. I've never had to give more than 3. He has to tell me he's sorry.

If it's a full on meltdown, he has to sit on the couch until he can calm down, then he gets a spanking and has to tell me he's sorry.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:32 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Same here and my daughter is the same age, and ugh I don't know what to do lol. I just ignore her.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 8:48 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Personally I go with the put them in their room method for tantrums. When Chris (almost 3) starts up I get down on his level and tell him "Tantrums will not get you what you want. If you continue you will have to go to your room to find your happy face" Then I give him a minute to choose. I have walked my son up to his room many times and had him calm down within minutes, but I've also had a few times where the tantrum has continued for a while and resulted in him falling asleep. I usually chalk those tantrums up to being overtired. What ever you choose to do be consistent.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:00 PM on Aug. 2, 2010