Fever in toddlers

My 3 year old broke out in a 101 fever last night at 11 PM out of the blue. No other symptoms. He was just a little bit warm, yet the thermometer showed 101. I was expecting a 99. This morning he was really hot and I thought for sure he is 103. But the thermometer only showed 98.5. He's been very warm all day (his whole body), and I took his temperature 6 more times since this morning and never showed more than 100.
My question is: has your child ever been really hot but not have a fever (meaning over 100.4)? He is a little grouchy and wants to be held but he is playing, eating, drinking.

icanbeabitch

Asked by icanbeabitch at 5:53 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, he has been sweating and burning up and i check him and no fever. Happened a few times actually.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:06 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Yep. My kiddos run hot all of the time. I cannot even count the times I got a "took the temp but s/he was fine" note at day care. It may have a lot to do with the amount s/he has had to drink, and time of day.

Just push fluids and keep him comfortable.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:58 PM on Aug. 2, 2010