Why don't I see the point of a crib? I just don't get it!

My daughter has never slept a night in her crib, and the apparatus is not making sense to me. When she is in it she just gets her arms and legs caught in the slots and cries. Why did we build them like this? Cage-like! Are cribs an American thing? Do other countries have a different device? Shouldn't they be solid? Why do cribs work for everyone else? I'm going to get my 9month old a toddler bed with a mesh bed rail on both sides I think.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 5:58 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never used mine either. It's an unnatural contraption, mother nature NEVER intended for an infant to be away from it's mother... Us "Civilized" folk have really got our heads screwed on backwards.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:00 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• There are cribs everywhere in the world. WHy don't you approve of cribs? All three of my kids slept (and slept well) in their cribs. I don't know what else you would do? I don't think it is safe for a baby to sleep in bed with Mom and Dad.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 6:02 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• i never really understood them either. my dd sure did act like she was being put in jail when she was in hers! but she did fine with the toddler bed.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:03 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Well...what happens when you have a child like mine? My son has never been a co-sleeper. We tried for about 1 month and all he did was cry and cry. So we put him in his crib (in our room) and he slept just fine. He is just like me,..we need plenty of room and often feel more comfortable sleeping alone!

Just b/c you do not agree with it...does not mean people have their head screwed on backwards.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:03 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I wish my baby liked the crib, but it just has never worked for me, and now all drop side cribs are recalled and i'll never get my money back for it.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• LOL, was totally thinking that same thing the other day, cribs are so 'unnatural'! its like putting your child in a cage or a jail for the first years of their life! My kids usually slept in a bassinet for the first couple months then in bed with me, we HAVE a crib though and they used it to play in mostly :P My ds sleeps in his all the time now but its only 3 sided, we took the drop-down side off and put it up against our bed as a side-car type bed so he's not boxed in and can climb out when he wants, i have NEVER put my kids to bed in their room and shut the door either, i just don't understand people who do that...
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 6:06 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Did you realize that having the baby IN THE ROOM WITH YOU is a form of cosleeping? No?

There are MANY forms of cosleeping, which does not, by definition, mean sleeping in bed with mom & dad.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:07 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Cribs are intended to keep a baby safe but like everything... not everything works for everyone. Babies are built differently physically and personality-wise. Some are curious so they stick their arms, legs and heads in places they shouldn't. It just happens. You should do what works for you and your baby. =)
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 6:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• We used our crib for awhile then the kids start climbing out of it so we just sold the crib and got bunkbeds for them, they are enjoying it and it makes them feel like big boys. They have the universal guard rail on the sides which works great.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 6:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No, it's not an American thing, it's an international thing. But cribs are safe and I never had a problem with them.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 6:12 PM on Aug. 2, 2010