White House told "no" on HCR lawsuit

So the judge has ruled against the admin's bid to have the health care reform lawsuit in VA thrown out due to the "commerce clause".

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/080210healthcareop.pdf

Reading the arguments in the decision, think the law will survive past the SCOTUS (where it's inevitably going to end up before it's settled)?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:07 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:07 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I have other things to do than hold my breath until 2014.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 6:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• WOW thats a LOT of reading!! I got to page 6 and will have to go back and finish it later! Why hold your breath till 2014?? Did you read ANY of it? The common wealth of VA is wanting this decided on NOW which makes total sense. I the link Sibelius says we should wait to fight this but why would you wait till the last minute. Thats when things get harry and rushed and sound bites rule the day. Is she afraid that it WONT withstand the scrutiny?? I think VA seems to have a very solid base in the constitution and if they can prove THAT they are good to go, the rest of Sebelius' silliness wont even matter because the core law is faulty.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

***
    See, this is what's wrong with the majority of today's voters. Wait until it's too late to do anything, and then complain that "something" needs to be done!! Ugh.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'm only up to page 17, but I'm glad the court decided that the time was ripe for review, because everyone would need to be working on it now.

Also, I'm wondering how many states have an Act similar to Virginia's
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:45 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• The power of Congress to exact a penalty is more constrained that the ability to tax... agree
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:58 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• congress cannot tax to regulate that which it cannot regulate... agree
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No, I don't think it will make it past SCOTUS
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:44 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I hope like hell it doesn't make it past SCOTUS.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:53 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• TX has a lawsuit in the works also and I heard this morning that though it is the first step ,at least this Virginia law gets to go on to a court case with jury and all the trimmings. IF they can win that, they have precedence that is a bonus when appealed. Also the Dems were so sure this was going to be slammed through they did not stipulate that if one part of the law is struck down the rest of the law holds true. If it is struck down then the whole thing is in the toilet.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:31 AM on Aug. 3, 2010