Reflux

I just found out my almost 6 week old has reflux.
She rarely spits up. Isn't really fussy. Not the "normal" symptoms.. that i have read about.
But maybe once every few days.. she will gag horribly (then it comes out her nose) and it's rather scary looking.
The doctor told me that we could give her meds if I really wanted to.. but she doesn't like to medicate babies unless she has too, and she thinks Cheyenne will grow out of this. Until then.,. what to do?
She only takes about 3-4 oz of formula every 3-4 hours. And the times she spits up.. or starts gagging is when she wants more.. or eats the whole 4 ounces quickly.

4xmommy2008

Asked by 4xmommy2008 at 11:31 AM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• prop her up at a 30 degree angle for 30 mins after eating (bouncer seat)
    JMGouge

Answer by JMGouge at 11:38 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• All babies have some degree of reflux. The ones who are really in pain/fussy all of the time need the meds. Propping her up after eating is the best thing. And watch her. look up "silent reflux" and check the symptoms and watch her. My last child didn't really show reflux symptoms at all until her was about 2 months old and because he actually had a dairy sensitivity it went downhill until I could get all dairy out of both of our systems (he nursed.) He was on meds and outgrew everything by the time we was a year.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:12 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• my 3 month old does the same thing, her doc told me to clean my carpets and not worry because she is still gaining weight. they suggested sitting her up more when she eats and for about a half hour after.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 12:27 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• My baby does that too. I switched her to Nutrimagen and it helped a lot. It took a few weeks, but she hasn't done it in about 3 weeks. Her spitting up is a lot less as well and she isn't having as much trouble with gas now.
    You need to keep the baby propped up for about 45 minutes after eating to help keep the formla down.
    busybee914

Answer by busybee914 at 1:23 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• My daughter had bad reflux, we tried the whole, sit up for 30 minutes after she eats thing...and it didn't work. So, our doctor had us add cereal to her bottles. Still, (she's almost 1), she has cereal in her bottle. We tried slowly decreasing the amount of cereal she got in her bottle, but below a certain point, her reflux came back. So, we give her just above what keeps her food down and we have a happy, healthy (not overweight like everyone thinks a baby on cereal is going to get) baby and we don't have any of the choking scares like we use to. Good luck.
    KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 5:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2008