My aunt needs to get custody of her niece before school start

My cousin's mother just went to jail and now she is living with our aunt. The court won't give her custody right away and they said she cant start school until the custody case is done. Sooooo.......how can they keep a kid out of school for two months which is how long the case is gonnalast according to this dumb ass judge. Is there any way she can get custody before school starts the 26th?

mama28th

Asked by mama28th at 6:26 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• can your other aunt give her temp. custody until she is out of jail??
    Prayingforbaby1

Answer by Prayingforbaby1 at 6:29 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• That dosent even sound right! Im sure youre aunt has an attorney they should know if there is some way around this like having a hearing to ask for the girl to be allowed to go to school.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 6:30 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• She is in your aunts custody so she is consider a guardian. They can't keep a child out of school that long or the family gets into trouble. I would call the school and see if your aunt can register her
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 6:31 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Try calling the school board and ask about this. Tell them you do not want the child missing school.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:38 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Some schools don't require a parent to put a child into school. As long as she has all of the info she needs birth certificate, immunizations, SS card (not needed) I was able to enroll my husband's son in school before I adopted him without being a guardian. Have her contact the school.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Have her get guardianship. If you call the courthouse they can make it happen quickly for the sake of the childs safety and education. Good luck.
    zadesmom1998

Answer by zadesmom1998 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2010