How can i get my husband to help out more with the baby

KENZIKISSES13

Asked by KENZIKISSES13 at 6:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hand him the baby, a diaper and a bottle.And go somewhere for a couple of hours.by the time you get home he will have it figured out and appreciate you more.I had to make mine step upi and do things that he thought only women did.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 6:41 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• what if he doesnt do any of it? what if he takes her somewhere else like his moms or someone
    KENZIKISSES13

Comment by KENZIKISSES13 (original poster) at 6:48 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• In the evenings when I need to cook or clean up from dinner, I just handed him our daughter and walked out and did what I needed to do. I breastfeed so I would make sure she had recently eaten. At first he would complain when she cried and more often than not, her diaper was wet, so I would kind of act like he was an idiot for not checking and changing her first.

If you like his mom, you could always go somewhere with her. Then he's stuck on his own.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 7:09 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• i love his mom. but she is sick most days and dont like getting out of the house except on good days and then she usually goes with HER mom.
    KENZIKISSES13

Comment by KENZIKISSES13 (original poster) at 7:23 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• give him the baby and a diaper and say can you change him i have to do such and such and then walk away .
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 7:33 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Hand him the baby and say he/she is half of your dna she is your child too. You learn by trial and error so start learning because it takes 2 peope to make a baby.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 7:48 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I suggest a long talk with him. There is nothing you can do to MAKE him take care of his kid. But he does need to learn to step up.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 8:14 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Have you told him how you feel and let him know that it bothers you that you want his help? I find communication is key. Men are very different than women. Where we would tend to just do something because it needs to be done, men sometimes need direction ;-). I would first let him know how you feel and second, have him help with bathing, feeding, changing and once he feels comfortable, he can take the lead.

Some men are intimidated by babies and don't feel comfortable. They need encouragement and praise. If he has the baby and he does something you wouldn't do (besides something dangerous obviously), don't be quick to criticize. That will only discourage him from helping out in the future.

Let him know how important it is that he has a role in your child's life and needs to bond with your baby. Once your baby starts to enjoy being with him, that will help him want to be more involved as well. Good luck!
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 8:17 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I have had the same problem. My husband works 2 jobs so he barely has mch free time but when he is home i take full advantage of it. I take a 45 min shower and wash bottles or make dinner. I hand him the baby and tell him she is his responsibility too.
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Idk but when you find out tell me.
    Mommy2Five23

Answer by Mommy2Five23 at 11:24 PM on Aug. 2, 2010