Does anyone shop for groceries on an as needed bases? Do you go and get what you want as you decide what you want?

I am so tired of throwing out food. I throw out too many vegetables, fruits and some other spoiled foods. I buy what I think will get eaten and a lot of times it doesn't get ate and in the garbage it goes.
I was shopping once a week, but obviously I buy tooo much and we aren't eating it, and with the price of food....I was thinking about going every couple of days to get just what I need. I think I can be disciplined enough to do that?
Anyone else do it this way?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 6:42 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Since we don't have a vehicle we shop every day or ever other day. Basically whatever we can carry. It has worked out great for about 4 years now and we are a low income family. Just budget, and know how much you can spend on each meal and don't pick up any extras. Good luck mama
    ReachtotheStars

Answer by ReachtotheStars at 6:56 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No way am i lugging my 3 yr old to the store that often. Plus, I save a lot of $$ by using coupons. I stockpile things when they are super cheap and then only buy enough fresh fruit for 1 week and usually it's stuff that is in season. If it doesn't get eaten, I don't buy that fruit for a while because clearly everyone is tired of it. I know it's frustrating, but it's better to have the fresh stuff there and easily accessible, IMO. Do you cut it up and have it ready for a quick snack? Is maybe that why it's not getting eaten?
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 6:46 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I do the exact opposite, I buy in advance when it's on sale and store it until we need it. Freeze things until you use them. Use the guidelines here to know what can be frozen as is and what needs to be blanched or handled differently first: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/freeze.html  Also, you can cook some things in advance and reheat through the week and that can extend their life.  Make sure you store properly - different produce needs different conditions in terms of temp and moisture, and some people throw everything in the fridge when a lot should really be left out and vice versa.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:47 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• One idea.............I shop on Mondays and Fridays. I make a list of the meals I will have for the next few days and shop for those ingredients, salad fixings, and fruit for snacks. Of course I check and see if we need milk, etc. Having the list keeps me focused and I don't overspend.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:48 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I buy when we start running out of things.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 6:45 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I usually end up going a couple of time a week and getting what we need or want at that time. It seems to get eaten more that way.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 7:03 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I buy non-perishables and foods that will last a while in bulk--and freeze, vacuum seal and/or refrigerate them. MOST if not everything I buy gets eaten before it goes bad. Then again, we only buy fresh foods that ALL of us will eat. I don't buy foods that ONLY certain people will eat, and when they don't it get's tossed.

Another thing that I do, that may help, is if you find that your fresh fruits and veggies are not being eaten in a timely manner, you can use them to make fruit pies/cakes or vegetable casseroles/pierogies. Once you prepare/cook them, you can usually stretch them for another week or so (longer if you freeze them) in the refrigerator, and MAYBE by preparing/using those foods differently, you'll spark some interest among your family to eat them!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• We sit down and plan out a menu at the beginning of the grocery shopping week after the sales come out.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:58 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I shop 2 times a month max. Mostly once a month.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I get around $70 a week and try to only get what we will use so I can use the other money as needed, or for other things. If something is on sale, it still depends. For example, today I bought some sausage & chose trhe least expensive kind I liked, even tho a larger quantity was a better deal, I dodn't want to spend that much. But bread was on sale, so I bought 3 loaves. We will definately use it and I froze them all.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:18 AM on Aug. 3, 2010