Switch from bottle to sippy.

My son is 9 months and I want to start weaning him from the bottle to a sippy. He already drinks water out of his sippy cup but I want to start the switch with formula. What is the best way?

excitedmommy22

Asked by excitedmommy22 at 6:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• just put it in there

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:44 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• If he's already drinking water from a cup, you probably won't have a problem with the formula. If measuring purposes is your question, there are sippy cups with measurements on the side just like a bottle.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 6:49 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• if he already takes the sippy and isn't really attached to the bottle for like nights and such the switch should be pretty easy for you. Just add one more sippy cup of formula each day, and by one year you can try to add in a straw cup to the mix. It is better for the muscle development in their mouth that helps them speak.
    ReachtotheStars

Answer by ReachtotheStars at 6:54 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• if you found a cup that he already takes and likes then just start giving it to him during the day with the formula in it
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 7:29 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Start with giving him one sippy a day with formula in it in place of one of the bottles you give him. So he can gradually get used to using a sippy cup instead of a bottle. I started gettIng my daughter used to using a soft spout sippy at around 7 months then at around 16-18months old I switched her to a sports sippy cup. then a week ago I switched her to a hard top sippy sup. She is 22 months old now. She started drinking whole milk from a sippy at 13 months old and drinking diluted juice at around 9-10 months old alond with breastmilk. I weaned her a month ago at 21 months old. Hope any of this helped.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 7:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• mine was off the bottle and on the sippy and even small regular cups by ten months on his own. I imagine it's because we use a lot of sports bottles which can be like sippies so he just wanted to be like us. I say just make it available to him and he will transition.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 8:11 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• If he takes formula during the day at all, put it in a sippy cup instead of the bottle. As long as he will take that then the switch should be easy for you. My son at that age was just taking 1 bottle before bed so when we switched him he never even noticed or cared.
    JoeyJrsMomma

Answer by JoeyJrsMomma at 8:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• my son had a really hard time switching formula and eventually his milk from a bottle to a sippy. He took everything from a sippy cup, except his milk. It was like the milk and bottle combo was comforting to him. He was a little over 2 when I finally had enough. We tried switching him to sippy only and it was difficult, so we always gave in. Finally I just said, that's it and I removed all the bottles from inside the house. Then anytime he asked for it, I would open the cabinet and show him there were no more bottles. It took 2 days of him being a little fussy before he gave in and took his milk in a sippy cup.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 9:00 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Don't switch the formula into the sippy cup. Formula is artificial breastmilk and should come form an artificial breast (bottle). A sippy cup is for them to learn to use a cup. Put water into the the sippy cup for now. When baby is close to a year old you can start putting whole milk in the sippy cup. As you wean off the formula at a year you wean off the bottle at the same time.

The problem is that use of the sippy cup does not contribute to the normal muscle development of a child's mouth.

There is this big push to have them off the bottle at 12 months. They way a lot of people seem to be doing it is to switch to a sippy and use it just like a bottle, but they are not designed for kids to suck on like a bottle which can have a negative effect on their teeth and jaw development. Don't use a sippy cup like a bottle.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:53 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Babies need to have their sucking needs met with a bottle. Breastfed babies spend hours sucking. You don't need to wean now. At 12 mo you can wean from formula and bottles. Your child won't need cow's milk, only water to drink. Cow's milk is for baby cows.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:04 PM on Aug. 2, 2010