at what age do you believe a child needs privacy?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 6:49 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think once someone starts making their own decisions/gaining responsibility is a good time to allow them more privacy. That way, the amount of privacy can grow with the child and they realize its a privledge, not a right.
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 6:51 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• When they are old enough to move out and afford their own place. Until then, my house, my rules.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 6:51 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• When we're not having to change their diapers or dress them.
    So once they're potty trained (That means going without needing anyone), they start dressing themselves, etc.
    Because once they don't need us to do those things for them then we're over stepping our bounds by intruding.
    Further from that.. As far as to talk on the phone, etc. That depends on what age they start getting more involved in outside social life. Some start as young as 10 where others start as old as 15-16.. So it depends on every child. I think though that every child deserves privacy of any age, minus the early toddler and infant stages.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:52 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I agree with momof3inTN, i had tooo much privacy and i was doing some pretty bad things as a kid, things im not proud of, but also think that if you are in their face constantly they will do what ever behind your back anyway, glad they are only 4 and 2!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 6:56 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• They all need some degree of privacy at evey age.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:00 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• 13

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Privacy, as in knocking before you walk into their room, or privacy as in alone time with a laptop and a locked door?

5 for the first, not in my house for the second/
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:19 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My 4 year old is asking for it now. lol
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:48 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Once they are old enough to want it. My kids are still more than willing to be 100% out in the open... But once they decide they want to have that privacy, I'm all for it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• When the child shows they are ready for the personal responsibility that comes with privacy. For example, my 7yo dd can have phone conversations in the privacy of her room, but my 9 and 11 year old have to talk on the phone in the same room that I am in. They hate it, and complain every time, but bummer. I tell them every time, change your behavior, and I will change your rules. Life's not fair, get over it.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 11:12 PM on Aug. 2, 2010