How much sleep is too much sleep?

I've got 2 toddlers, ages 15 mos and 2 1/2. Here's their "routine"

DS3 (15mo) : Wake at 7am, breakfast, playtime, nap from 11am-3/4pm. Late lunch, play, dinner (around 8) and in bed by 8:30/9pm.

DS2 (2 1/2): Wake at 9:30am, nap 1pm-4pm, back to bed at 10pm.

Normal, or should I talk to their dr? It just seems that they sleep ALL the time! I wish mommy could sleep like that...

Also, any suggestions on improving this? They are always sleepy/cranky except for a couple of hours out of the day...

MunchiesMom324

Asked by MunchiesMom324 at 6:55 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• them being cranky or sleepy could be a sign of a reaction to something their eating, that sounds like an issue I had with milk and my second oldest., keep a diary and see what they eat and when they behave certain ways.

It could also be teething, wanting your attention, not feeling well/allergies and just their age! :) *hugs*

as far as sleeping too much, I don't think so. My little ones sleep about that much.

Here's a good link I found on the subject:

http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/sleep/sleep.html#
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 7:01 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• If your kids are sleeping that long they obviously need it. What is their diet like, lifestyle?

My son is 2 and a half and doesn't nap now..he doesn't need it...some days he might and he will take one but not always. i let him sleep how he wants to.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:02 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• that sounds about right.... if you think something is wrong bring it up at their next Dr appointment

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 6:57 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• ETA: I try to keep them up as long as possible... but when they fall asleep I don't wake them up - I let them wake up on their own. Should I be doing this? They sleep all day!
    MunchiesMom324

Comment by MunchiesMom324 (original poster) at 6:56 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• The oldest you could definitely eliminate the nap. At about 15 months your little man should probably get no more than 15 hours of sleep each day. For example at about 18 months my son was sleeping 20 hours each day. He has autism and cannot properly regulate his sleep, so we have to. Now at 2 1/2 he is expected to get at least 8 hours of sleep each night but no more then 12 hours each day.

If you have anymore concerns your ped is a good place to start.
    ReachtotheStars

Answer by ReachtotheStars at 6:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• my son is 17 months and he was about 7-8am eats plays then down for nap at 10-11 and sleeps till 3 eats lunch and plays eats dinner at 7 and in bed by 9 and he sleeps all night from 9pm to 7-8am......hes a good sleeper.....his brother who is 4 has never been a good sleeper so your lucky to have two good sleepers
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 7:00 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• A 3-4 hr nap is kinda scary! The 15 month old is missing lunch,and is jamming 2 meals in between 4and 8! My son napped 1-1 and a half hours tops,twice a day. Needing 3 to 4 hours at a time tells me they're not getting enough sleep or nutrition to stay awake.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My 19 month old will sleep in the middle of the day like that if he wakes up at 7...other wise its only 2 hours MAX if he wakes up around 8 or 9, it really just depends. He has a habit of jumping out of bed to play and come get us before hes really ready. Then he crashes for a nap!! Bed time we try to keep between 8:30 or 9...your kids seem to be on track with where mine is...and hes right in the middle of your two!! I dont think i would stress too much yet! Maybe growth spurts...IDK when you sleep alot you tend to want more sleep. But i definitely agree with the mommy wishes she could sleep like that part!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 7:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• i agree with butterflyblue19. that long of a nap is kinda scary. i have a 20 month old, and since he was 13 months he only takes a 2 hour nap, and sleeps 10-12 hours at night. thats a very late lunch. i would feed them both lunch at 11 and have them nap at 12. they might be cranky because of too much sleep, idk. i know that if i get too much sleep (which i cant remember the last time that happened haha) i would always wake up with a headache and be cranky. just my opinion. my son wakes at 8, naps from 12-2 and goes to bed at 8. but like others said, if they sleep they need it. it just seems like a long nap to me.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 8:33 PM on Aug. 2, 2010