Any recommendations for a good kitty litter that helps control odor? My house smells like cat pee!

We have an automatic litter box, and I use "premium clump" litter, but the wet seems to fall apart and it is very odiferous!

lynnal9

Asked by lynnal9 at 6:57 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Pets

• i like scoop away
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 6:57 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I always managed to keep a pee free smell from my house just by scooping every day & sprinkling some baking soda on top of the litter. The premium clump stuff takes a bit to dry, so if your automatic box scoops it up too quickly, it will fall apart. My cats were also out door though & didn't use the litter too much. I would not own a cat if it could not go outdoors. The indoor cats almost ALWAYS stink up the house, especially if there is more than one cat.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:05 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Arm & Hammer for multi cats.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:05 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• We swear by the Arm & Hammer brand litter. We use the kind for multiple-cat households. We've used just about every other premium brand litter out there and have always stuck w/ the A & H.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:06 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Lol, QandA, I see we posted that at the same time...great minds think alike!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:07 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I started using World's Best cat litter. I love it. It's made from corn. I have 4 litter boxes and this stuff is great. You can get coupons from there website.    

mommyfox03

Answer by mommyfox03 at 10:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• scoop away works great for our cats
    clumm

Answer by clumm at 1:46 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Cats Pride or Arm & Hammer work well for my 3 fur babies.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 2:48 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• That is the problem with the automatic litter boxes. They have to have the special litter and I don't think it works that well. Get a regular box, mult-cat litter, scoop at least once a day and you can use baking soda too. Once in awhile I pour out the litter and scrub the boxes too.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 7:17 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Tidy Cats Multiple Cats. We have three cats, and two large litter boxes. I also use baking soda. and scooping every day (along with changing the litter it's self every week) helps.

Are you sure the smell is coming from the box it's self? sometimes (even if just once) it can smell because a cat didn't go in the box... just a thought.
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 11:32 AM on Aug. 3, 2010