Very Worried!!!

I went in for my 22 week ultrasound today and the doctor said that the ultrasound tech saw a fluid pocket on the brain. she said it was still normal but that she wanted to repeat the ulrtasound in a few weeks to make sure it hasn't gotten larger. Needless to say i'm worried sick now....has anyone else ever been told this and if so what does it mean and was your baby ok????

mpreece

Asked by mpreece at 7:07 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• here's a bump. I know that my tech was wrong on a couple of minor things.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:12 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• *hugs* Do your research on this, get a second opinion if you need to. The stress of your worry is not good for you or your baby. I'm sure there are a lot of things online that could tell you what this means now, what it could mean, and anyway you can support having a healthy happy baby, perhaps shrink it too. Every night before you go to bed become focused on your baby and then imagine that sac of fluid shrinking and having a healthy beautiful baby! It'll help calm you and there is a lot of documentation on the benefits of this kind of visualization exercises.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 7:16 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Here's a bump! I don't know about this, so I can't offer much, but try not to worry!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:34 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I know with lots of things on ultrasounds, most of the time it's nothing to worry about! But they obviously have to look into anything like that just as a standard procedure. I would try not to worry and trust that everything will be fine. Hugs and hang in there!
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• This happened to a friend of mine. She was told the same thing about a fluid sac on the brain. Turned out to be nothing, went away on its own, baby was born totally healthy.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 10:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I've heard of it, and I've heard that it goes away a lot of times on its own. Like another poster said, because of frivelous lawsuits, doctors have to cover their butts for every minor thing that could possibly be wrong, so that if your child were to be born with a problem or abnormality, you couldn't turn around and sue them for not finding it sooner. Therefore, a lot of things that are probably nothing, are made out to be SOMETHING. Not to say this is the case with everyone, but a lot of times it is. Hopefully everything will be okay for you and your baby! Don't stress about it...that's no good for either of you! Good luck!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:31 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• HUGS mama. My midwife didn't do ultrasounds until 28-30 weeks because the standard 20 week ones show so many irregularities that resolve themselves as the baby develops. She thinks that 20 week ultrasounds just cause undue stress because of the frequency of situations like yours where there is something that as the tech even says usually clears itself up, but now you are all stressed out until it does! Hang in there, your baby will be fine. Try not to worry too much about it since there is nothing you can do. I know that is easier said than done but try to relax.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:50 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I have not heard of this but here's a bump.

My best advice is try to be calm and do as much research as you can to either calm yourself down or prepare yourself for possibilities.

Btw I have heard a lot of things show up on early u/s's that clear up long before birth.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• i have not had that happened iam, but dont be worried about it i will pray for you and the baby.. please keep us updated
    tandie1977

Answer by tandie1977 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Research research research mama. Research the crap out of it and what causes it and what options there are to help and just try and relax until your next ultrasound.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:11 PM on Aug. 3, 2010