moms hanging out with older/younger moms

I meet with a few different groups of women so our LO's can socialize. I am the youngest in every group. in fact I'm just starting out with everything. My SO and I are planning a wedding, we have an infant, i'm a second year college student.

I'm 18, these other moms, some with older kids are 28 plus. My senior by 10 years. I can tell they want me to say my age because they say theirs and wait for me to say mine, never ask, so I don't say. One mom said she was turning 34 in a couple days. My moms 34...lol so it's kind of weird.

what should I do about telling them? I feel weird letting them know I'm so young. Maybe I should find younger moms to hang out with?

This is especially awkward when they want to go out to a bar and I have to decline

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 7:22 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• I was 19 when I had my first child so I can sympathize. I'm sure they all assume you're a little older than you are, but you'll be surprised at how young you actually look at 18 once you get older. It most likely won't be too much of a surprise to them. If they care then they aren't the type of people you'll be wanting to hang out with or have their kids hanging out with yours. Most of my friends are at least 10 years older than me. I have a few who are around my age but I don't think I really have any that are younger. Age isn't as big of an issue as you'd think when you get older. It usually only comes up when talking about music or old technology. :) *hugs* Odds are you are making a bigger deal about it then them. Relax and have fun!
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 7:25 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Honey, stop being embarrassed of being 18. Just because you're young doesn't mean that you aren't a good mom! I wouldn't offer it, but I wouldn't hide it either. If it comes up on conversation, I'd let them know your age. it's really no big deal. A mom can be just as good of a mom at 18 as she can at 35. It depends on the woman. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:24 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I don't see what the big deal is. You are young. it's cool. I think you are over thinking it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:24 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• maybe its time to find new mom friends you can be comfortable around.
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 7:25 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My mom is 52 and hangs out with moms in their 30s. It just depends what you are comfortable with
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 7:25 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'm 39, gulp, I know an old broad but I see nothing wrong with hanging out with younger women than myself. Once upon a long time ago, I was the young mom with the baby surrounded by older woman and I enjoyed it. I learned a lot from them, and they from me.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:29 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Dont worry about the age difference, the only thing that matters is that you have things in common...Do you enjoy their company?...I am in the opposite situation, my best friend is actually 10 years younger than me..I help her with things that she is not sure of yet and she helps me as well...Enjoy, dont think so hard
    sam223

Answer by sam223 at 7:30 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• You are a mom. That is what's important, not your age.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:35 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Thanks ladies for the advice, yes I feel like I can learn a lot about Life in general from them, and I also get along well with them all
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 7:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2010