Does anyone have potty training tips?

Momieuf2

Asked by Momieuf2 at 7:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Here's what we did. We put our son on the potty once a day at the same time. If he sat, great. If he didn't, we skipped it and moved on. After a few weeks, he would sit willingly and typically pee (we did it after dinner and before bath). We then moved on to training. I let him run around with just a shirt on and put him on the potty every 45 minutes (it was easier to get him to sit without the hassle of pants). If he peed, we celebrate. Otherwise, we waited 10 minutes and tried again until either he peed or he had an accident. Either way, we then restarted the process (we used a timer to keep track). After 2 days, he had the basic idea and we added underwear. We kept up until he stayed dry most days, then we started increasing the time between potty breaks. We used a couple of M&Ms as rewards initially but the novelty wore off pretty quickly. Adjust the time intervals based on your experience.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:49 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• what worked with my kids and grand kids was i put a jar of jelly beans or m&ms on the top shelf in the bathroom. Every time they had a successful potty trip they got a handful. They had to leave enough urine or stools to be noticeable at the bottom of the potty bowl to get some. it worked very well. Never give them more than five in their handful. The first time the succeed have them call EVERYONE and tell them the good news. Bribery and positive enforcement go a long way

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 7:54 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Take a weekend to stay at home, put the potty out in the room your child spends the most time where it's easy to get to (living room etc), go naked (underwear feels too much like a diaper, at least for my son), use lots of praise and find something your child loves and use it for reward. My son loved jelly beans so that's what worked for us.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 9:22 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Stay away from pull ups!!! Dd stopped having accidents when being naked but everytime we put a pull up on her we had to fight to take it off! I took pull ups away 2 weeks ago and haven't had many accidents! I won't let her wear one for bedtime because it leaks by morning! Without a pullup she has no accidents! Pull ups are just an extremely expensive diaper!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:59 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Your main focus is getting your child day time potty trained. Many people worry about day and night at the same time and they end up getting more frustrated at their child. Keep your child in cloth training pants throughout the day. Slap a pull up on them during naps and at night.

Here's what I did with my daughter. I took her every 30 minutes and had her sit on the potty for 10 minutes. If she didn't go, I praised her for trying. If she went I gave her lots of praise, a sticker for her chart, a few m&m's, lots of hugs and a happy dance. You have to make it fun for the child. If you show any signs of irritation they will sense that and will not want to try it anymore. There were times when she didn't want to go in there, but I let her take anything she wanted in with her and that usually coaxed her in there. I still kept the pull ups on her at naps and at night. When she went a week with being dry I took her pull ups away.
    sweettigeress

Answer by sweettigeress at 9:48 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My biggest tip is not to fret over the "Super Parents" who magically potty train in a weekend or a week.

We tried everything with my youngest daughter (oldest just did it... lol... she got me all phsyched for her sister just for me to find out that it isn't always that easy! lol). We did charts, stickers, prizes, gummy bear for every time she went, the daycare helped me, we went bare butt, only panties, pull-up's, etc etc etc. Finally the best thing that helped (but still did not magically make it happen because it is ultimately up tot he child when they will actually start going on their own) was the "Potty Watch" I bought offline. You can set it to go off every 30, 60 or 90 minutes to your choosing and it plays music to remind them to go try to use the potty. It took a good week and a half to get her used to why it was playing music, but when she got the hang of it the rest started happening much quicker. :)
    (cont'd)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Then when she started going on her own for about a week I took her to wal-mart and let her pick out her very own big girl panties and she though that was AWESOME! lol

She still has the occasional accident but she is almost accident free now. Night time is still being worked on, but they say not to start trying to night train them until they wake up dry every night for a couple of weeks. She wears a pull-up to bed now. :)

Here is the link to the potty watch. :) And the company is outstanding! Her watch got too wet and stopped playing music and they sent me a replacement for free and let me keep the other one which she now plays with. :)

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=534066&cmSource=Search
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• And she wore pull-up's the entire time and did just fine. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:21 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• We tried a few different techniques with our boy but nothing ever really worked so we just gave up. A few days later he woke up and said, "Mommy, I don't want to wear pull-ups anymore. I want big boy undies, please." and never looked back. He did have a little trouble with pooping, like a regression or whatever so we bought a bunch of hot wheels cars (30 of them, some used of course) and put them in a bag. When he went all day with no accidents we gave him a car. If he had an accident, he had to return a car. When the bag was empty we took him to Chuck E. Cheese's.
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 2:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• i'm not sure what tips to give... we used EC so the girls were diaper free, full time, at 9 months.
    asil

Answer by asil at 12:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2010