5 month old's feeding schedule?

The dr. told me to go ahead and start Ethan on baby food other than the rice cereal. She had me to start that at 4 1/2 months. He acts like he's starving all the time, grabs for my or anyone else's food and drink, mimics our mouths moving, double his birthweight, so she said go ahead and start veggies or fruits. He's 5 months old, and she said I could start him on 1-2 oz of water per day and no more than 4 oz of juice per day. I'm confused about the actual food though! I'm a first time mom so I don't have anyone to compare to.

Any suggestions on a good feeding schedule for a five month old boy just starting solids? So far I've been giving him his cereal in the midmorning before his second feeding, and 1 - 2 tbsp of carrots with his dinner. I just have no clue how to get this going!

rosewolfkin

Asked by rosewolfkin at 11:52 AM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My dd is 6 mo this is how I feed her:

I give her a bottle when she first wakes up in the morning, after a couple of hrs when she's hungry again I mix up some rice cereal & about 1/2 a container of a fruit & feed her.  She'll be content enough to play & then nap for a couple of hrs.  When she wakes in the afternoon I give her another bottle & sometimes if that doesn't seem to be enough I'll give her the rest of the fruit from her earlier feeding (or some veggies depending on her mood).  She'll be content till about dinnertime (4-5 pm) then I'll give her some oatmeal cereal with some more fruit & she'll be fine till bedtime (8 pm) when she gets her last bottle for the day & goes to sleep. 

Hope this helps. Good luck!

KenadysMom

Answer by KenadysMom at 12:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• My daughter is 7 months and she has already had rice cereal, carrots, sweet potatoes, peaches, apple sauce and bananas. My doctoer told me to try something new every week. In the morning when she wakes up she gets a little bit of formula and then some rice cereal. For lunch she gets a vegtable and a little bit of fruit. I give her a bottle for nap. And then for dinner she gets the same thing that she got for lunch.

Hope this helps!
    tkerst

Answer by tkerst at 3:30 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Sometimes it takes awhile to get them to really like things so I'd try one baby food for week and then add a new one each week. Also really be careful with the juice, it gives them a sweet tooth really early in life and juice is really just empty calories so skip it if you can.
    sixzilliondots

Answer by sixzilliondots at 9:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2008