is it normal to be gassy when you are pregnant?

gosh i am so gassy all the time and it kills me. is that a part of being pregnant? or am i just eating food that makes me gassy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Probably a little bit of both, but more so because you are pregnant. The reason being is that while pregnant you have much higher levels of progesterone, a hormone that relaxes muscle tissue throughout your body, including your gastrointestinal tract. This relaxation slows down your digestive processes, which can lead to gas, bloating, burping, and farting and generally create miserable sensations in your belly, especially after a big meal.
    stampmama

Answer by stampmama at 12:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Oh sweetie .. as horrible (& embarrassing) as it is, it's all part of pregnancy.  There's really nothing you can do about it.  Try to avoid foods that give you gas (easier said than done when you have those cravings) &/or if your doc says it's ok, try some Beano or something similiar. Welcome to (soon-to-be)Mommyhood!!

KenadysMom

Answer by KenadysMom at 12:13 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Be prepared to be a walking fart machine because yea..pregnancy makes the gas flow like nobody's business.
    Anonymous

• OH God yes, it's normal unfortunately! It's all the hormones and pressure and all that fun stuff!
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 2:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• oh yea thats normal mylanta works good
    alaina_20

Answer by alaina_20 at 4:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I have been bloated with gas for the last 4 weeks; and it has driven me nuts; as I thought why in the heck am I showing so soon; however, I found that eating some leafy greens everyday, seemed to ease it up a lil bit.... GL!
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 8:53 PM on Oct. 4, 2008