for those that have DD's in ballet 5 years of age sorry for asking so many questions on this topic

I am looking into putting my 5 year old into ballet I was talking to DH and telling him how much the recital uniforms are which are 50.00 for each costume. Not sure how many recitals they do, but anyway I told DH that I don't think they keep the costumes. He says they probably do since you are paying 50.00 for them. Do you get to keep them or do they turn them back in? What is the 50.00 for then if you can't keep them? Also do you have to buy tickets for the recital if your child is in it? Sorry for all the questions I am new at all this lol

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 7:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My DD is 5 and has been in ballet since she was 2, in two different schools. Both worked the same way, we pay them monthly (sept-june) for the classes, 1 hour a week, $40 for the month, regardless of holidays off, etc...and about halfway through the year we put a deposit on the costume, then have to pay the balance at the end. All costumes were under $50. She keeps them, gets tights too. Her closet is getting pretty fluffy =) We also have to pay for tickets, kids under 3 are free. Tickets were I think $12 each this year. One recital. Some kids are in multiple dance classes so it can really get expensive, but just the one class is doable...and she LOVES it. Oh, and they don't let you video tape the recital, they get you for $40 bucks to buy the dvd they make. And did I mention that its August, the recital was in June and we still haven't received it. Sigh.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:14 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• And don't forget to give her flowers on recital day =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:15 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I know you have to buy the leotards, tights, ballet shoes for the every day class so what you are saying is not only you buy those, but the costumes you get to keep?
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 8:17 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• flowers???
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Yes, you buy her a leotard and tights and ballet shoes for the year long classes, the costume is just for the recital. You can get good inexpensive ballet shoes at Payless and good inexpensive leotards and tights at Target. Be careful with the shoes, their sizes are different than regular shoes, she should be there to try them on, with tights.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:19 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• lol, you don't have to do the flowers but many parents present their little dancer with flowers after the recital. I should add that the recital IS NOT MANDATORY. So if you just want to do lessons, but opt out of the recital that is fine too.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:20 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• ok thanks lol....My DH told me that if he was paying for the costume for the recital that he better be aloud to keep it lol. Although if you keep it after the recital what do you use it for? Does it just sit in the closet??? LOL
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• It does sit in the closet. Once in a while she plays dress up and prances around. I wish they fit me, lol.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• LOL thank you so much. Maybe I will keep them and give them to her when she gets older lol
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I mean I would let her play dress up but once they dont fit anymore then I will let her have them when she gets older lol
    mommy5409