• In the Spotlight:

my DD is going to be starting kindergarden next month when should I start putting her on a bedtime schedule?

Her bedtime is achually 8:30, but she wont go to bed until at least 11 and sometimes not until midnight. She will keep coming down stairs asking for this or that. She has a tv in her room my mom gave her (that is the only reason she has one, I wont buy her one) and even if she lays in bed watching tv she still don't go to bed until late. I thought about 8:30 as bedtime, but letting her watch tv until 9 then tv goes out, but when should I start this? She will be going to all day kindergarden so which means she will be getting up around 6:45-7am to be at the bus by 8. Maybe 7:15am. She will be starting school September 1st

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 8:04 PM on Aug. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• my child will start kindergarten next week :( she does not go to bed till late either but she is up at 7 no matter what time she goes to bed she has got to get to the bus at 730 i hope she will go to sleep sooner after school starts
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 8:16 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• What time does she wake now? I would pull that tv out of her room and do more of a routine...8pm brush teeth and get in jams, then 8:20 to bed and read a book or two, then lights out. The tv is bad news in the bedroom, I don't care who bought it, a 5 year old should not have a tv in her room.

If she is waking later, I would start waking her NOW in the mornings at the time she will need to wake for kindergarten and get her in bed early. She'll need the sleep if she's getting up that early.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I would start about 2 weeks before school starts. Once school starts, she will be so tired from the day that the bedtime will get easier.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:07 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• the way i got my little one to go along with her bedtime is giving her an incentive.i say her prayers and tell her that we will go to the park tomorrow but she has to go to bed first. because yours is older i would say tell her something like tomorrow your gonna meet new friends at school but you have to go to sleep first. or what i did with my niece is plaed music to lull her to sleep
    mama_stegeman

Answer by mama_stegeman at 8:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• "sigh" that is what I am hoping anyway lol. My DD will play outside running around screaming and evrything litterly all day long and I still can't get her to go to bed so I am hoping with school and things it will tire her out.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 8:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'd start now. I have my DD look at books, or play quietly laying in bed if she can't fall asleep...all with a favorite CD mix playing... no TV, no computer. The coming down stairs thing drives me nuts.... if I have to tell her to go back to bed a 3rd time I take away a toy... it works very well!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 8:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I would absolutely start getting her onto a schedule. I'd also suggest eliminating the TV at bedtime since it actually makes it harder for some kids to fall asleep. Let her read books if needed. When she comes downstairs, calmly send her right back up. There should be little to no discussion just a reminder that it's bedtime.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• GRAMSMOM

she wakes anywhere from 8-almost 10 it all depends if noone is upstairs making nose then she will sleep until almost 10 when I go and wake her up. Unless her sister wakes her up at 8 lol. I know (about the tv) she had one in her room at 3 only because I thought it would help her go to sleep better only to find she was staying up until 2am so I took it out then my mom just recently gave her a tv so it is back in her room.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 8:12 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think I would start now. I think you are going to have a battle on your hands getting her to go to bed, stay in bed and get to sleep.
    I would start by letting her know things are changing, bedtime is 830 and that is that. No tv, no drinks, no out of the bed or room over and over again. It is 830, in your bed lights out. DONE.

When she comes out, walk her back to bed, place her in say good night and walk out. No questions, no extra hugs, no talking, no more stories. Each time she comes out again, just walk her back to bed, out her in and walk out. She won't like it but will get the hint in afew days that things have changed.

Good luck.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 8:12 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Definitely start now. My son was the same way, but after about a month I got him used to his earlier schedule. I agree with the others, establish a routine, bathtime, brushing teeth, reading books, play soft music. And definitely pull the TV out. Set a cutoff time for TV.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 8:14 PM on Aug. 2, 2010